10 Things I Love About Lawn Seating At Concerts

Because who actually enjoys being elbow-to-elbow with a total stranger?

8908
Photo via Tumblr

Imagine it’s a sunny, summer day. You’ve got your shades on, a cold drink in your hand, eyes closed, and you’re swaying back and forth, letting the music take over you as one of your favorite bands play. You’re swaying, without being stopped by the person sitting too closely next to you. You’re free, you have space to move about, dance around, and be comfortable. This is exactly what I love about lawn seating at concerts.

The first concert I went to where I had the advantage of lawn seating was Zac Brown Band at Bethel Woods Center for the Arts in Upstate, New York. The site of the 1969 Woodstock festival, this location couldn’t have been a better one. And I have to say, lawn seating changed my entire concert-going experience.

Of course I’ve still been to a ton of shows since then where I had regular stadium seats, but I definitely prefer lawn seating if I have the choice. Unfortunately, not every concert can offer lawn seating, as a lot of them are held at indoor venues or stadiums with rows of seats.

But if you’re lucky enough to enjoy a concert while chilling out on a lawn, I beg you to do so! Here are some of my own personal reasons as to why it’s one of my favorite things about the whole concert experience.

1. The comfortable amount of space

2. You can bring your own lawn chair (at some locations)

3. If the venue allows, you can bring a cooler and yes, even have the space for it

4. Easily being able to chat with the concert-goers around you

5. Not having to make others get up from their seat when you need to go to the bathroom

6. You can easily wander around the venue if desired

7. You won't be elbowing the person next to you while trying to video or take photos

8. They're usually cheaper than regular seating

9. If you bring a blanket, you can lay down while enjoying the music

10. No shoes? No problem. Kick them off, and relax!

Along with the positives of lawn seating, there are some downfalls to keep in mind if you're a first time lawn-seater. For one, since there are no designated seats, you should arrive early to get a good spot. If not, you may run the risk of not getting a spot at all, or having to sit somewhere that has little to no view of the stage. But either way, you'll still hear the music, which is always a plus - but do remember, lawn seating isn't for everyone, but it's absolutely a fun experience to try out at some point in your life!