10 Things I Learned From My Grandma

10 Things I Learned From My Grandma

Little nuggets of wisdom I was fortunate enough to receive from my grandma before she passed away.

685
10 Things I Learned From My Grandma
Sabrina Ruff

My Grandma just recently passed away after a hard battle with cancer. When reflecting on her death, I want to remember the good things rather than the bad, and so I compiled a list of all the things she taught me that I never want to forget. Some aren’t as important as others, but all are meaningful because I’m so lucky she was able to pass a little bit of wisdom onto me.

1. Blowing bubbles into your Arnold Palmer is the best way to mix it

It’s effective and fun!

2. Cooking isn’t just about making food

It’s about serving others. It’s about making people feel welcome in your home and letting people know how much you love them by making something so essential to life (and that tastes really good)

3. Christmas isn’t Christmas without making and decorating Christmas cookies

Sour cream sugar cookies are the best for decorating

4. Love yourself no matter what size you are

I’ve always struggled with my weight, but the way my grandma complimented me and told me how beautiful I was helped me to realize that what society views as beautiful now was not necessarily what was considered beautiful ten, twenty, thirty years ago, so why should you care? It’s what’s on the inside that makes you beautiful.

5. Never wear brown and black together

Unless you’re color blind.

6. Going to college doesn’t define you

She skipped out on college and instead went to beauty school to become a hairdresser, and in lots of ways, touched more people’s lives than she could have going to school for a career in something way more boring.

7. Your hair is an incredibly important way to express yourself

Dyeing it, cutting it, and styling it is important to express your personality but also to keep people guessing as to your age

8. The secret ingredient for the best mashed potatoes is sour cream

Instead of milk. Try it!

9. Keep greeting cards for every occasion

Hallmark makes them, so why not use them? A card for a holiday is important, but cards just because you are thinking of someone show your love and care, even if you are far apart

10. Being kind to others is the best way to be kind to yourself

If you have a negative attitude about others, you’ll have a negative attitude about yourself. Treat everyone as an individual instead of generalizing and stereotyping, and you’ll begin to see yourself as an individual and love yourself because you are different, not in spite of that.