10 Things I Learned During My First Semester Of College

Four months down and a lot left to go, but I'm excited to continue with the journey.

37
Grace Dosdall

With the first semester of my college career behind me, I now have time to reflect on the past four months and what I have learned. I've learned a lot of different things, some are funny, some are serious, but they are all equally important. So without further ado, here are ten things that I have learned during my first semester of college:

1. Get to know the people on your floor:

These beautiful people will most likely be the ones who are there when you have your first breakdown (which you will have). They will also be the ones who walk down the hall with leftover pizza that they are giving away because they don't want it to stink up their fridge. Even better, though, they are probably really cool people but you'll never know that if you don't talk to them.

2. Clubbies are Forever

Here's the deal with clubbies: you hear upperclassmen say "clubbies for life," and at first you don't see the big deal - they are just people who happen to be in two of the same classes as you, you have classes with other people, too. However, clubbies are most definitely for life. If you have a crappy professor or a stupid assignment, they are the only other people on campus who understand. Also, if you're lucky, your club will have some clubbie love which is by far the best kind of love.

3. Nug day is the best day

When DS has chicken nuggets, the day gets automatically better. You have to get to DS the minute they start serving dinner because the line will be long and they will run out. You can taste that they are definitely not good for you, but you don't care and you get an entire plate full of them with no shame.

4. Don't forget about your family back home

Your family misses you. Your mom is probably worried about how much you're sleeping and how much you're eating. Your dad is worried about your grades and your relationship status, and your siblings miss having someone else around that mom and dad can mess with. Don't forget to talk to them. You might not realize it, but you need it as much as they do.

5. Find something to be a part of

Finding something to be a part of is really important. Find a club that you can be passionate about because most likely these people are passionate about it, too. You'll make awesome friends and it will give you something to do other than school, which everyone needs.

6. Go to events the school is offering

You're paying money to go to school, granted a lot of it is for classes, but still. Some of the money you are paying goes to throw events like meeting santa and such. So if you're paying for it, you might as well go.

7. Don't forget to get off campus every once in awhile

While campus is fine and good, every once in awhile you need to get out and do something off campus with some friends. A farmers market, a movie, bowling, the mall, ice cream, even a walk. Just get out and get off campus sometimes, or you may forget there is a world outside of college.

8. Take some time for yourself

Block some time out every day to spend some time by yourself. If you don't spend time by yourself you will end up going crazy. Everyone needs some times to just be. Being with your friends is important but it is also important to spend time for yourself.

9. Tutoring is not a bad thing

In college, it's almost weirder if you don't have some type of tutor or study group. A tutor is like your best friend who helps you with your homework. If you're lucky, your campus will include tutoring with the money you're already paying them so you don't have to pay extra.

10. Making friends is KEY

Friends are the actual best and they are super important always, but especially now. You are away from everything familiar and you need to find people who you can go to, to cry or laugh about this dumb thing you did in class. College alone is no fun. Find the people who make the non-school part of school fun and don't take advantage of them. These are your people now.

Well, there ya have it. Like I said, college is full of learning and not all of the lessons are academic. Some of the lessons don't even seem necessary, but they are. So all in all, my first college semester has been good and I have learned a lot. Of course there were some bumps in the road, but those are to be expected. However, I'm excited to see what the next three and a half of my life bring and the new lessons I will learn.