10 Things That I Have Learned From Being 18 Years Old

Here are 10 things that I have learned from the past year of being 18.

160
Photo by Nikhita Singhal on Unsplash

Once this article is posted, my birthday will have pasted and I will be nineteen years old. Wow, I feel old. Being eighteen years old has been incredible. Chai is the Hebrew word for eighteen. In Judaism, it is a symbol, and there is this concept that the meaning of the word chai is life. This year alone, I have experienced many life lessons. I decided to write an article on all the different things that I learned from being eighteen years old.

1. Learning how to do laundry!

I think that this is probably a very common thing that most eighteen-year-olds learn how to do once they are in college. I mess up sometimes with the multiple steps, but at least I know how to do it!

2. Learning how to drive on the highway.

Yep, I got my license at eighteen years old. I know, it was very late. But at least I learned how to drive on the highway without crashing into anyone!

3. How to fill out insurance forms.

During the summer, I got sick and had to go to the Health Center at UCF.They asked me to fill out insurance forms and I had no clue what to do. It was so confusing, and I was super stressed out, but I had some help from the office, and now I will be well prepared to fill out any health/medicare forms.

4. People come and go in life.

Many people will appear in your life and many people will go. It is sad to see certain people leave, but it is only for the best. It is truly amazing how many incredible people that I have met so far in my first year of college.

5. Writing is good for your soul.

This year, I have found one of my passions in life--writing. It is so good to put words on paper or type up words to express your feelings and thoughts. It helps your soul and helps you grow to become a better person!

6. Follow your dreams

It's hard to figure out what you are passionate about at 18 years old, but honestly, this is the time to figure out what dreams you have. Go follow your dreams and do you.

7. Time goes by extremely fast!

I am sitting at my desk writing this article and I just can't believe that it's already December and I am halfway done with my first year of college! Don't take every day for granted because the time will fly by.

8. Don't worry too much.

I worry a lot in general. But this past year, I started to notice that every time I worry excessively about something, it doesn't end up happening!

9.Even though you're an adult, the entire world still treats you like a child.

I thought that by being 18, I would be an "adult". That is not the case, unfortunately. Some people will treat you as if you are a child, and it can be frustrating because you want to be treated as an adult, not a kid.

10. How to balance your social life and work.

This is something that I am still learning how to do. However, it takes a while to balance your social life and work. At 18 years old, this is the time where you start to learn how to balance your social life and work!