10 Things I Hear As An Applied Math Major

I am an Applied Math and Statistics Major, not a pure math major but still I am tired.

18
Photo by Roman Mager on Unsplash

These are just a collection of a few things I have heard over four years as an applied math major from friends in other disciplines.

You must be so good at math

Actually, math is one of those things, that you can't just innately be good at. You have to practice and understand the fundamental concepts.

I was so bad at Math for the first two years of high school, it wasn't until the middle of my sophomore year that I started studying and taking math seriously.

Can you help me with my homework? 

I don't remember every formula from the top of my head, and I don't know every single mathematical concept ever introduced, like?????

I didn't even know girls like math like that

Ummm, its 2020, please stop being sexist.

What can you even do with that degree?

Math is literally so fundamental to everything, like umm Computer Science.

There are various careers that a person with a math major can do.

Do you want to be a teacher or something?

I don't want to be a teacher right away, and again there are many things that you can do with a math degree. It teaches you how to think critically.

How do you even understand Calc?

Practice, practice and practice.

TBH I took AP Calc AB and BC and those courses were harder than most of my AMS courses :/

How much do you study?

LOL, like a lot, especially before exams.

Cramming before exams always ends up happening.

Are you doing it because your parents forced you to?

No, my parents wanted to be get a BS degree, but they probably would have preferred computer science or biology.

I chose to major in Math, and also because I still want a BS degree LOL.

When are you ever going to use the things that you learned again? 

Will I probably use Fermat's Little Theorem and most of these formulas again, umm probably not.

But, the critical skills that I have gained along the way will hopefully be really helpful as I continue on with my future endeavors.

Do you even enjoy it?

Ahhh, probably not always, but mainly yeah. It's almost like solving a puzzle and I enjoy the journey of it :)