8 Things That Happen When You Start Working a 9 to 5 Summer Job

173

After working in a restaurant for so long, where the hours are always unpredictable, but never a full eight hours, it was a huge change to start an internship where I am in an office eight hours a day, five days a week. Five weeks ago I started an eight week internship at a PR company, where for the first time in my life, my job requires me to be at a desk, not constantly running around. Here are eight things that I've realized happen when you start working a 9:00am to 5:00pm job in the summer for the first time.

1. You make better use of your time after work - After spending eight hours a day behind a computer screen, you are desperate to get outside and do everything you possibly can fit into the rest of your day after work ends.

2. You're calling your friends to make plans by 5:01pm - Seeing as you can't really be on your phone texting or snapchatting your friends all day while you work, you have to know exactly where everyone is the second you get off work in order to make plans ASAP.

3. You live for the weekends - As soon as 5:00pm on Friday hits, work is off your mind completely until Monday morning and you're already getting mentally preparing for the weekend ahead of you and all of the plans you've already made.

4. You begin to appreciate a set schedule - When working at a restaurant you never know when you're going to get off and you more often than not have to work weekends as well. It's a lot nicer having set days and times for work and being able to plan around that.

5. You realize the slowest part of the day is 2:00pm - 4:00pm - For some reason I have noticed that 9:00am until lunch around 1:00pm seems to go by really fast and that the last hour of work also seems to go by pretty quickly since you're busy trying to finish all the work for the day.

6. You pack a lunch - Work starts to feel a little like high school when you realize you can't afford to buy lunch everyday and that you have to pack a lunch the night before with enough snacks to last you throughout the long day.

7. It becomes a blessing to have your parents give you a ride to work - Getting that extra ten minutes of sleep and not having to worry about driving tired or finding parking honestly becomes so appreciated. Not to mention the fact that parking for a day costs $10 and you're really not wanting to continually spend that when you could be using that money for lunch instead.

8. You don't go out drinking on weeknights (most of the time) - After one extremely painful hungover morning at work you quickly realize you are not willing to suffer through that more than you have too.