10 Things That Happen When Your Roommate Becomes Your Best Friend

Second semester here we come!

8
Allie Beinhacker

Finding a good roommate is a hugely important factor of starting college. While faced with a multitude of adjustments and struggles, the last thing you need is a whack job of a roommate who effortlessly makes the college transition an even more challenging time. Despite just finding a roommate who you get along with, it's an amazing feat if your roommate also becomes your best friend. Shoutout to 307 Brumbaugh and my best friend who resides there experiencing all of these things with me.

1. People assume you knew each other before school started.

When after only three months you're as close as you are now, no one will believe that you weren't already friends coming into school.

2. You share too many inside jokes.

If you're anything like me and my roommate, you watch all the same TV shows and constantly quote them enough to drive the people around you insane when you absolutely can't stop laughing together at your colloquial references.

3. No night is a boring one.

Even if you decide to stay in one night, that doesn't stop the two of you from creating your own fun.

4. Two closets are better than one.

Don't have any clothes to wear tonight? No problem, another closet with better options is only a few steps away.

5. Walks to class are never lonely.

You plan your schedules to have the same time classes so you always have someone to walk with, to eat with in between class, and to ensure you never get any time alone in the room (not sure if that one is a good thing).

6. You quickly get over fights.

Even though they rarely occur, you know that you're never getting rid of this person, your best friend AND your roommate-- so you swallow your pride and find something else to talk about (ex. seeing your freshman orientation leader that you were obsessed with) to divert your attention and maturely move on.

7. You gain a new mom.

Your roommate's love for you and inclination to keep you safe, is practically parallel with your own mothers.

8. And a new partner in crime.

However, they are also the first person by your side when you're ready to pursue your dumbest ideas and most careless decisions.

9. They know you better than anyone.

You can't get anything past them. They know when you skip class simply to lay in bed, when you come home late at night missing a shoe, when you snore loudly in your sleep, and when you eat Easy Mac every night for dinner. Nothing is a secret.

10. And you wouldn't trade that for anything.

You truly wonder how you got so lucky to choose your roommate, but are forever thankful that it led you to your best friend.