10 Things Every Firefighter Girlfriend Can Relate To

212

Firefighting is unique compared to most jobs and one person who can always attest to this is a firefighter girlfriend. Dating someone who runs into burning buildings for a living, you get used to things that most normal girlfriends don’t ever experience and eventually gain more knowledge about firefighting than you ever thought possible. From lingo to equipment to fire humor, you hear it all and it becomes part of your lifestyle too. Whether your firefighter is a volunteer or a career, a recruit or a chief, here are 10 things that every firefighter girlfriend can relate to.

1. The moment when you’re out with your man, doing normal couple things, and his radio/pager goes off.

You’re out on a date, you’re spending quality time with your man when you hear the dreaded tone of his radio and the static as the dispatcher starts rattling off details about the call. If you’re out in public, everyone turns their heads. Everyone.

2. Always looking for firefighting related gifts.

Birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, you name it, you are always looking for a gift idea related to firefighting. Sweatshirts, homemade gifts, cute trinkets, the list goes on and on. Luckily, Amazon never disappoints!

3. Getting slightly excited when your firefighter asks you if you want to go to the station with him.

Admit it, we all get a little eager. Fire station visits aren’t just interesting for little kids! Walking around and taking in all the different equipment and gear is fun and actually pretty fascinating. The best part? Sitting in an engine with your man and taking cute pics in his helmet, duh!

4. So. Much. Gear.

We love the way our men look in their gear (all 75 pounds of it). And let’s be honest, we’ve all laughed at how they now keep their boots sitting under their jeans, ready to put on at a moment’s notice, even at home.

5. You’re probably one of the few people who isn’t a firefighter who knows there are actually 2 types of fire vehicles.

Yeah, nobody on the street really knows the difference but you sure do! There are fire engines and there are fire trucks. We’ve all been quizzed by our man when one flies by on the street, just to see if we actually pay attention. And we dutifully answer, because we all know that engines pump water and trucks carry the big ladders, right ladies?

6. Every time you hear an emergency siren of any kind, you know exactly what it is.

Fire truck, ambulance and police car sirens are not the same. Go figure!

7. Fire station apparel is a must.

If you’re anything like me, the minute your man tells you the station is doing a bulk order of apparel, of course you have to get some. Repping your firefighter’s station feels kind of like wearing a badge of honor, especially when people ask about it.

8. You get excited when you see a truck or engine on the street when you aren’t with him.

Because it reminds you of your man and the great things he does!

9.Accepting the fact that yes, the man you love is putting his life on the line constantly.

It’s not something that is easy to deal with or understand, especially when you love him so much and care about his safety.

10. But you are so proud and supportive of him anyway.

Saying that your boyfriend is a firefighter feels like saying you’re dating a superhero and people’s reactions to it makes it even more rewarding. At the end of the day, you are proud to be a firefighter girlfriend because you know your man is a hero.