10 Things All Brandeis OLs Know To Be True

The life lessons I learned during Orientation.

100
Emily See

This year, I decided to dive into the world of Orientation at Brandeis University. I did not know what I was getting myself into. All I remembered from move-in was a lot of happy people in bright blue shirts moving all of my room materials to my room (nice, right?). It is safe to say that, having almost completed my first year as an OL (Orientation Leader), there is so much more to the role than moving refrigerators up three flights of stairs. Instead, I have met some of the most dedicated and beautiful people on campus, all of whom I know will go on to do amazing things. Without further ado, I present a dedication list to them of the top ten things I learned this year during Orientation.

1. Staying up late is easy with friends

I can say that the latest I stayed up last year was midnight. After seeing that the events last until that late, not including clean-up, I did not know if I could handle the late hours. Those thoughts slipped my mind as I danced at the first big event to the tunes of "YMCA" and "How Far I'll Go." Because, when you dance with friends, the party never stops.

2. The staff at Brandeis are your family

Bless Scott Berozi and Jenny Abdou, our fearless leaders of Orientation. They are here from the wee hours of the morning until late at night. Not only have I gotten to know two amazing workers, but I have also had the time to learn more about what exactly Community Living does. Trust me; we are lucky here at Brandeis to have these staff members who go above and beyond for the students.

3. It's okay to be nervous

Again, I am not the type of person to willingly get up in front of an audience and start dancing. Orientation training helped push me to feel more confident in myself. Even if it means dancing to "Shots" without caring who looks, that is an improvement on my self-confidence that can never be taken away.

4. We still need Facebook

Okay, I can already hear groans as I write this. But if not for the numerous Facebook groups I am in, it would have been hard to keep up with the constant schedule changes that come around every day. Plus, it is always fun to keep up with your fellow OLs and see them struggling to stay awake during the first week of classes.

5. Do not let anyone talk down to you.

This was a key part of move-in. Both days, I had parents who would ask me if I could handle the boxes that I was carrying up to the rooms. And both days, I would remember what the seniors told me, that we can do this and no one should tell us we cannot. With that, I think I probably carried half my body weight for a good portion of my move-in time.

6. Talk to new people

I cannot count on my hands how many people have talked to me during Orientation. On that same note, I also cannot count how many of these people will remain close friends. Orientation is a time to bond with those whom you might not have ever met in your classes. I am so grateful that I had this chance to get to know these people who will definitely be a part of my life for years to come.

7. Take time to laugh every day

This piece of advice is important for me. In the past, there have been too many days where I would rather cry than laugh. Orientation changed that for me because I found people who will make me laugh no matter what mood I am in. Shout out to everyone that I ate a meal with during training week!

8. It's okay if others think you're weird

I will admit that I was a little confused last year when the OLs began randomly chanting and dancing. I learned this year that this is the beauty of Orientation. Even if all the first-years look at you strangely, at least the hundred other OLs will not.

9. There will be tears

And not just from the lack of sleep. Even if not everyone admits it, affirmations and Sneetches definitely brought out the tears in me. Somehow, less than one week allowed me to make connections with people that are stronger than some I have with old friends. If this does not make Orientation worth it, then I do not know what will.

10. Live in the moment

The last piece of advice that I learned is to live in the moment. Yes, you can worry about making it to your class tomorrow on time. But if you do not appreciate the experience of welcoming new students and making new friends, then why are you an orientation leader? This past week has alleviated some of the anxiety I normally feel, letting me act like the kind of person that I always aim to be.

Even if I did not talk to every OL these past two weeks, that does not mean they did not have an impact on me. Every one of them is special and unique, coming from all different backgrounds to work for a common goal. I hope that I can continue to learn more and grow from this wonderful experience.