10 Of The Best Roller Coasters Ever At Six Flags Great Adventure

There are many thrills to be had.

73
http://skylermobbhouse.blogspot.com

I have lived in New Jersey for well over a few years now and every summer I get excited for one thing. Rollercoasters. The steel giants many pay to ride for the experience of taking flight at jaw dropping heights and they are about the only places where one can feel like a speed demon for a day...only to come back home feeling like they just ran a marathon. Yes, many people don’t like the heat and the waiting in the lines, but for me, this is New Jersey’s greatest place to be at.

That being said, Six Flags Great Adventure is one of the best coaster parks in America, launching some of the best and most record breaking coasters in theme park history. Today this park still sits on top of many park enthusiasts' list, standing neck and neck with parks such as Cedar Point and Six Flags Magic Mountain. Here is a top 10 list of the most amazing coasters at Six Flags Great Adventure.

10. The Green Lantern.

Though most of you would probably want this higher on the list, I’m sorry. I could not bring myself to rate this higher than the Great American Scream Machine. However, it does deserve to be on the list for innovation’s sake as this steel giant is 155 feet tall, is a stand-up coaster and runs at a whopping 63 miles per hour. Another reason I have not put this in higher regards on this list is the nagging migraine it left me and the intense need to vomit after I had gotten off this ride. This in turn made this for a not-so-fun experience for the rest of my Six Flags day. Despite this, it was a fun and unique experience. For those who have strong stomachs and can enjoy this ride without the pounding headache that can ensue afterwards, it’s definitely worth the shot.

9. Bizzaro.

Formerly known as Medusa, what is there not to like about this roller coaster? Featuring several inversions and being one of the first floorless coasters in the world, I can see why Six Flags Great Adventure opted to keep this steel beauty. The ride was given a few upgrades such as fire, fog and water effects, and even given a new soundtrack when the ride was reopened. That being said, this is easily, hands down, one of the best coasters the park has to offer and is even better when riding at night. I mean even the park could not find a reason to get rid of this steel behemoth, so why not give it a try?

8. The Dark Knight Roller Coaster.

Now, I know what some of you are thinking. This coaster doesn’t deserve to be on this list. The ride seems to be a lot more trouble than it is worth for some people, leaving you more in pain from the bumps and turns than enjoyment from the whole experience. In my humble opinion, I tend to like the ride despite its shortcomings. One thing I can appreciate is the fact that it is an old school, dark ride coaster. Also, the hairpin turns give some excitement to an otherwise very short-lived experience. The colors and overall eerie aesthetic of the Gotham City Rail terminal really key into the "Dark Knight" film as a whole. As it was intended to be a family ride, I rather appreciate the wild mouse coaster idea, and the idea of The Joker stalking you adds some thrill to an otherwise family oriented ride.

7. The Great American Scream Machine.

Though recently retired, this coaster stands the test of time not just for being one of the best roller coasters, but also the coaster that revived what could have been an abandoned Six Flags park in the late 1980’s. What made this ride so special was its amazing triple loops and double cork screws. Up until the day it closed, it kept riders coming back for many years.

6. Superman Ultimate Flight.

Up in the sky it’s a bird, it’s a plane, it's… OK, I’m not going to do this. But honestly, who doesn’t want to mimic the flight of a superhero? Opening in 2003, this ride has kept many coming back even to this day. With a 100-foot drop and its top speed being more than 51 mph, it’s one of the most amazing experiences to be had at Six Flags Great adventure.

5. Batman: The Ride.

This steel introverted roller coaster is 105 feet tall and goes at a staggering 51 miles per hour. With its opening more than 23 years ago, other non-Six Flags related theme parks have replicated this roller coaster design more than four times since then. This speed demon also exerts four times the force of gravity. If a ride that has been open since 1993 can still compete with newer coasters to this day, it gives more than enough reasons to want to try this ride out. If Batman were real, I’m sure he would be flattered by the success that such a ride has stood the test of time and has kept many continually coming back.

4. Kingda-Ka.

I know most of you are probably thinking this ride should be No. 1 on this list and, logically speaking, I think most would be correct. It’s by default one of the tallest coasters on earth, reaching at a jaw dropping 456 feet up in the air. That is almost as tall as a skyscraper. Lights are even put at the top of the ride as it might interfere with flying aircraft in the area. Run solely on a water hydraulics system to propel the ride forward at the insane speed of 128 miles per hour and an even more insane 3.8 seconds, Kingda-Ka stands the test of time as one of the fastest and tallest coasters in the world. Like Batman: The Ride, many other versions were also made in other parks to compete with such a remarkable coaster. If you aren’t afraid of heights and if it’s even cleared to operate the day you go (weather conditions affect the rides ability to function), it’s definitely an experience you don’t want to miss at this park.

3. El Toro.

Replacing the Viper in 2006, El Toro is in my opinion one of the best wooden coasters ever. The ride has one of the steepest drops ever put on a wooden coaster, ranging at a staggering 76-degree drop. The structure towers at 181 feet, has a drop height of 176 feet and has a spectacular speed of 71 miles per hour. It was also one of the first wooden coasters ever to use a chain lift and cable lift. If you are a wooden coaster junkie like me, do yourself a favor and ride El Toro. Trust me, it’s a unique experience that makes you experience massive air time that can’t be replicated on a steel coaster.

2. Nitro.

This coaster is by far one of the best coasters this park has to offer. The ride has no inversions, six camel back hills, over banked hammerhead turns and 540-degree helix. The best part? This steel leviathan has over a mile long of track. It has one of the most impressive picturesque views before a drop on a coaster and one of the most addicting music tracks ever to get you pumped as you wait for your turn to get on the ride.

1. Rolling Thunder.

Made in the late 1970’s, this wooden coaster has made No. 1 on my list because it was one of the best wooden coasters they had at Six Flags Great Adventure. I preferred getting on later in the day because the oil on the steel strips would wear off throughout the day, which meant more speed on an already 56-mile per hour coaster. Yes, I could have lived without the bumps and bruises I would get after riding such an old coaster, but there was something nostalgic and unique about this coaster that kept people coming back - old and newcomers alike. Its classic coaster design showed us that no matter how old Rolling Thunder was, the idea of racing on twin tracks in traditional lap cars was still fun and thrilling even up to its closing in 2013. I was very lucky to have been there the last days it was open and it is certainly a coaster experience I will never forget. It is a great coaster that should have never been replaced. However, it will always be a favorite ride and memory of mine at one of the best parks ever, Six Flags Great Adventure.