10 Summer Jobs You Can Safely Work During Quarantine If You Live Near Cleveland, OH​​

A pandemic isn't the ideal time to be job searching, but bills don't understand that concept.

8
Kaylee Smith

As a college student during a pandemic, finding a summer job has been hard. Not a bunch of places are hiring, no one wants someone who will only be around a few months, and with immunocompromised family members, the job needs to be as safe as possible. During my endeavor, I've found 10 jobs you can do this summer to make some money while staying safe.

1. Door Dash

Door Dash, a food delivery service, has always seemed to be a booming industry. During quarantine and many people not wanting to leave their house or be able to eat at a restaurant, it grew even more. You just need a phone, the app, and a mode of transportation. My cousin has been dashing for just a couple of days and has already made hundreds of dollars from tips. Although you have to pick up the food and deliver it, the person-to-person interaction is actually quite low. Apply here.

2. Wag!

Wag is a dog-walking company. I've been a Wag! Walker for the past year, but I would especially recommend becoming one this summer. You basically walk dogs for owners who cannot. With people returning back to work, they're going to be needing people to take their dogs on walks for them during the day and make sure they get to go to the bathroom. In my experience, Wag! is a great job because you get paid (rate + tip) and get to be around dogs! You can wear a mask into the person's home and social distance on the walk. Apply here.

3. Amazon

In my job search, Amazon always seems to be hiring, and their starting pay always seems much higher than minimum wage. Most (frankly, all) businesses and companies have had to learn to abide by new regulations due to COVID-19, such as having PPE. So, this is probably an easy place to get hired and a safe place to work. Apply here.

4. Giant Eagle

Stores like CVS and Giant Eagle are deemed essential to stay open, and due to everything else being closed/shorter hours, have been very busy. Due to this, they're hiring more employees that rank from cashiers to stockers, to pharmacy technicians. Most stores have implemented a glass barrier between the cashier and customer to prevent the spread of any germs, all employees are required to wear a mask, and customers are encouraged. Apply here.

5. Costco

Nearly identical to Giant Eagle, Costco is hiring and safe to work at due to the same reasons. Although not only are workers required to wear masks, customers are too. This truly optimizes safety and I think it's a great idea. Apply here.

6. Great Day Improvements

This job is looking for a call center representative, and remote work is available. There's no way to stay safer and make money than making money in your home! Apply here.

7. Pet Groomer

With animal groomers being closed during quarantine, many owners are rushing to get their pet an appointment. Due to that, many grooming places are hiring more workers. The amount of workers/pets/owners allowed in the grooming salon at once is probably limited, and masks are likely required. Lastly, I haven't heard of many animals (at least house animals) contracting COVID-19, so this is probably a pretty safe one! Apply here.

8. STNA for nursing homes

I've seen so many jobs willing to train quickly and pay you for the position of an STNA. Opposed to doing it at a hospital which may be a little dangerous, most nursing homes have not let anyone except workers inside since everything started happening since the elderly are immunocompromised, making this job actually pretty safe. Apply here.

9. Landscaping

Summer is always a time with high demand for landscaping, and the pandemic makes it no different. Furthermore, landscaping has low person-to-person interaction, usually, and you're outside which makes it more attainable to keep a distance. Apply here.

10. Babysitting

Due to many daycares not being opened or having limited capacity, many are looking for babysitters to come to their home. Watching a few kids is safer than working somewhere that has a plethora of workers or customers. Apply here.

Although some of these aren't the ideal jobs, they're still a job and most importantly, are safe. Let the job applications begin!