You Know You're At Virginia Tech When You Know These 10 Struggles

Parking. Parking services. That's all.

453
Olivia Scherzer

Only Virginia Tech students will understand these struggles. Whether they involve a certain dining hall, Parking Services, or the library, you'll find yourself saying "same" like you say same to a chair falling over.

1. Walking across the Drillfield in -10 degrees.

Hokies know what it's like to walk across the Drillfield in freezing weather. Whether it's windy or icy, or both, we still have to make it to that 8 a.m. class. It's windy and you've only worn your parka and nothing else, you're basically going to catch pneumonia. Also, it sucks when you're clumsy and you slip and fall on the ice. And then some hot guy has to swoop you up. It's embarrassing. Stay indoors.

2. Being stuck in any line at Turners at noon, 2 p.m., and 5 p.m.

Just stay away from Turners after your class lets out at noon in McBryde altogether. The lines for Qdoba and Bruegger's are literal hell. The line for Bruegger's always goes to Peet's and it's the worst.

3. Construction somewhere on campus.

Under construction since 1872, amirite? Either by the new cadet dorm, Major Williams Hall, or the new untitled project by the Duck Pond, Virginia Tech just won't quit it with building construction.

4. Parking.

HAHA, this is a joke. All Virginia Tech students can relate to the parking fiasco on our campus. You drive into the parking garage like it's the gates of hell, ready to fight anyone for a parking spot. Finding a parking spot on Virginia Tech's campus is like the Hunger Games. One must win and may the odds be ever in your favor. No one likes to walk from Chicken Hill lot all the way to McBryde. It absolutely sucks.

5. That 8 a.m. Dunkin' Donuts line.

You have to get there before the cadets do, because if they're there, you can expect to stand in line all the way at Owens Banquet Hall. Wake up early if you want Dunkin' that bad.

6. Overcrowding housing.

When will Virginia Tech learn to stop accepting so many applicants? Don't get me wrong, I want to see my favorite place in the world expand but we've had overcrowding issues for the past two years and freshman don't really deserve living with three other freshmen in a lounge. When's it gonna stop, VT???

7. the Math Empo.

Kill me for saying this, but I actually like the math empo. I don't like it because it literally feels like a jail cell and where I sit in those little cubicles. It helps me focus and get my work done, but the math empo in general is actually is a prison where there are no windows.

8. Nothing in Blacksburg to do.

I love Blacksburg. I've even been living here all summer. But there are no department stores, the closest Target is 7 miles away in Christiansburg, and all we have is two Krogers and two Food Lions. It especially sucks when you have to drive 10 miles to the closest mall to get that date party dress. And if you don't have a car, looks like you're spending your nonexistent money on Uber. So you're basically stuck trying to find something to do on the weekends other than walk to Roanoke St to go to a lame party.

9. Searching for a seat in the library.

I don't even go to the library anymore. I go to the math empo (see #7), my room, or a dining hall to study or do work. It seems like every seat in the library is taken by a person, dog, or backpack. It's like a backpack is worth more than my education. Don't even get me started on the "group" floors, aka the 2nd and 4th floors. The 2nd floor is just one big cafeteria without the food and the 4th floor is just a continuation of Oak Lane. Every table is a different fraternity/sorority.

10. Trying to make maroon and orange work.

Before you came to Tech, you probably never wore orange (I did, that was my school colors). You would never even think of putting maroon and orange together. But now that you're a student, you pair your maroon shorts with an orange shirt, or the other way around. Hey, if the football players can make it work, then you can too. You make it work because you absolutely love your school and couldn't think of a better place to spend your four years at.