10 Strangest Laws from Around the World

10 Strangest Laws from Around the World

Apparently, it’s against the law to wear high heels at the ancient Greek ruins. Good to know, right?
20

With the rapid pace of globalization, it's becoming our duty as global citizens to be more culturally aware. In the United States, it is reported that the millennial generation is more interested than older generations in international travel - by a whopping 23 percent! The UN states that 20% of all international tourists (which is close to 200 million travelers) are part of Gen Y.

It just makes sense for us to travel while we're younger, rather than wait until later. And what better way to plan for your next getaway than by learning about weird laws and customs from around the world? After all, traveling is all about widening our worldviews, right?

1. In Singapore, you can’t be naked in your own house

....if your blinds are open.

Punishable by a stiff fine and up to 3 months in jail , a police officer is allowed to enforce this law by breaking down your door to arrest you if necessary. So if you are in the small city-state and feel an overwhelming urge to be in the nude, make sure pedestrians or neighbors don't get an unintended eyeful.

2. PDA is outlawed in the UAE.

kissing, hugging, holding hands - should be avoided at all cost when out and about in public view. Holding hands is permitted for married couples, but everything else is considered an offense to public decency. PDA is liable to be punished by imprisonment or deportation.

3. In Barbados, it is an offense for anyone, even children, to dress in camouflage clothing if you’re not in the military

.

4. In Mississippi, swearing in front of two or more people in public could land you in jail for up to 30 days. Or you could pay up to $100 to the state swear jar

This law may seem like a direct assault on the First Amendment, but it’s only trying to protect the public.

5. In Germany, it’s illegal to run out of gas on the highway, or the autobahns, because they’re seen as an avoidable occurrence

.

via GIPHY

6. If you’re an atheist, you’re not allowed to run for office in the state of Texas. At the very least, you must acknowledge the presence of a “supreme being.”

7. Be sure to never step on currency if you’re in Thailand.

The Thai Baht bears the picture of the King and it is illegal to defame, insult, or threaten the royal family in any way.

8.You can’t wear high heels to an ancient Greek site

The government has banned shoes that could hurt the monuments in any way since 2008. Experts say that stilettos can transmit more pressure per square inch than an elephant.

9. In France, you can legally marry a deceased person

The living spouse must get the approval of the President and Justice Minister, and to qualify, one must provide evidence that the deceased intended to marry them while alive.

10. It’s illegal to own an unregistered computer modem in Burma

And foreigners who enter Burma with a computer are most likely to have them confiscated.