The 10 Stages of Freshman Year

The 10 Stages of Freshman Year

Is this just a stage?

575
The 10 Stages of Freshman Year
Geo Min Photography

If you just graduated high school, you are probably scared and excited for the years to come. For those that have a 4-year university in the plan, August cannot come fast enough. Freshman year is scary. It is fast, and fun, and feels like a decade of life packed into one. There is so much going on, but so little you can do about it. Live it up, but remember is this just one of the stages of Freshman year?

Stage One: IM FREE!

Yes, I think we all go a little wild the week leading up to classes. At most schools, Freshman move in a week before everyone else to become settled. This is the time you feel untouchable. For the first time in your life, it is all your decisions.

Stage Two: Wait, I can't study like I did in High School?

While class may not be in your immediate thoughts, it is the reason you are at school. There will be a point in time when you realize: this is not high school. An hour of looking over your notes is not studying for a test.

Stage Three: These are my forever friends.

About half way into first semester everyone starts settling down in a friend group. Mine was the girls on my hall. Other people met friends in class or in a specific club/organization. College friends are your home away from home. Treat them accordingly.

Stage Four: I miss my Family.

Right around the first set of exams, everyone starts to miss their families. Which makes going home for a month much more satisfying. It will be weird going back home, but you will be ready for some time at home.

Stage Five: Go Greek?

For schools that do Sorority Rush in the spring, the Greek community definitely mixes things up. For the most part, it is positive change. You don't lose your friends from first semester. Instead, you grow your network. Now, you ALWAYS have someone to eat lunch with.

Stage Six: This is harder than first semester.

For whatever reason, second semester is always more challenging than first semester. I don't know if it's that there is more to do now that you are settled, or if the course work is actually more difficult. Just adjust with the challenges. You got this.

Stage Seven: Wow, this has been the best year of my life.

There will be a moment second semester when you wake up at noon one Saturday and see the pieces of the night before sprawled across your room. You will look over at your roommate, and maybe the friends who decided to crash on your floor, and think this is home. I love this place. Wow, this has been the best year of my life.

Stage Eight: I need some sleep.

As the year, subtly begins to slow down, you realize I need some sleep. All the all-nighter study sessions, and late nights with friends are really starting to catch up to you.

Stage Nine: I am ready to go home!!

Oh yes, the start of the second round of exams. You are tired, over it, and ready to go home for a few months of peace.

Stage Ten: It's over?

This is when the tears begin to form. All of the sudden the year is over. You no longer want to go home. You do not want to leave. Your room is now empty and it will feel like a piece of your life has been pulled out right from under you. This is oddly the hardest moment of your life. Good thing you have three more years (hopefully).