10 Of The Most Annoying Sounds In The Universe

A convenient list of sounds that generally make me angry or cringe.

530

1. People coughing or sneezing.

So I recently found out this is an actual thing called misophonia: a strong reaction to specific sounds. Flu season is obviously the worst for me because half the people in my classes are coughing and sneezing and I sit there seething. I'm really not sure why this happens, and I only recently realized I react this way.

2. Chewing and swallowing.

The sound some people make when they chew and/or swallow certain foods or drinks bothers me and sometimes annoys me. I cannot pinpoint which specific foods or drinks cause this reaction from me, but I know them when I hear them again.

3. Scraping ice.

Even simply thinking about this sound makes my teeth hurt and sends chills up my spine. The sound of ice scraping by any means, be it a spoon scraping against frozen Italian ice or frozen bags of vegetables scraping the excess ice in a freezer, seems to physically hurt me. My teeth are very sensitive to cold which I believe is the cause for me hating this sound.

4. Teeth scraping (with the metal tool at the dentist).

So I've personally never been one to despise or be afraid of the dentist. I had to go a lot as a kid and I was always really good in the chair. One of the things I hate most about the dentist is the sound that results from them taking that metal hook tool (you all know the one) and scraping it between your teeth. I feel like I think it hurts more than it actually does because it sounds so awful.

5. Bare feet being dragged across a carpet.

I'm feeling so triggered writing about all these sounds because as I move to the next one, I can actually hear it in my mind and I'm cringing so hard. When people drag their bare feet across a carpet, I actually feel like throwing up and curling into a ball all at the same time and my neck twinges. Something about the sound of it and maybe the sensation I imagine comes with it makes me so uncomfortable. Along the same lines, people dragging their feet, in general, tends to annoy me, especially on certain types of flooring.

6. Doors opening and closing frequently (esp. when creaking or slamming).

This affects me a lot during classes, particularly at the beginning of class when people are coming in late or the end of class after a quiz or test when people can leave whenever they are finished. The constant squeaks and squeals that doors make when opened and closed bother the hell out of me and honestly make me very angry. I especially can't stand the sound of doors being slammed if they're heavy doors. If a door is only opened or closed once, I have little reaction to it. It's more when it happens multiple times in a row in a short time span.

7. Bugs buzzing.

I know I'm not alone on this one. Whenever bees or flies or other bugs with wings buzz by my ears I cringe so hard and there's really no escaping it until they leave, which can sometimes take a while.

8. Obnoxious yawning.

This one also happens a lot in class. The sound of a yawn when that person exaggerates it and adds some unnecessary sighing or whatever you want to call it to their yawn, it makes me want to punch them a little bit. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I can't stand immaturity and doing so comes across to me as such.

9. Tongue smacking.

I hope this is a reasonable way to word this, but when someone's tongue smacks the roof of their mouth, it grinds my gears. Or simply that typical dry mouth tongue smacking. To me, it really is an irritating sound!

10. Obnoxious burps.

I'm sure this isn't the last one, but this'll do for now. When a burp is exaggerated unnecessarily, I get annoyed as well. Sometimes I may even cringe.