10 Songs That I Can't Stop Listening To In 2017

For me, music, just like reading a good book, has always been escape.

488
Alice Moore

Music is my life. Most people think that if you really love music, then you must be in a choir, or acapella group, playing an instrument, or even directing it. I beg to differ. For me, music, just like reading a good book, has always been escape. Listening to a good song could take me away from what is happening in the world. Music brings me peace, putting sound to the emotions that I feel. For that reason, music is my life. Often, I will listen to a song so much, that I eventually know most, if not all of, the words. Something in the chords, or the singer's voice, or the beat, strike a chord within me, and I can't stop listening. Such is the case with these ten songs:

1. "My Shot" Hamilton, Lin-Manuel Miranda

I recently got into the Hamilton musical last fall. A little late to the party, I know. But what's important is that I realized how awesome it was. "My Shot" is one of my favorites from the soundtrack. Mostly because I can empathize with Hamilton. No, I am not an immigrant, but I am 'bastard' as they say in the musical. I'm also a first generation college student. So, "not throwing away my shot" is a lyric I can really get behind. Plus, it is so damn catchy!

2. "Death of a Bachelor" Death of a Bachelor, Panic! at the Disco

I am a long-time fan of PatD. I recently went to a concert in Philly for their Death of a Bachelor tour, so that may explain why it may be stuck in my head. But, they're so many other good songs on the album, and I honestly love them all.

3. "Machine" Machine, MisterWives

Another song related to the Death of a Bachelor tour. One of the openers, MisterWives, was so good that I actually downloaded some of their music. They have a really good sound, and their lead singer's voice is amazing. So I have no problem listening to them over and over again.

4. "Exquisite Corpses" x Infinity, Watsky

So, Watsky holds a lot of good memories for me. My friend Shannon loves Watsky, and, of course, she would play his songs in the car when we were going somewhere. When I listen to Watsky, I always think of Shannon. She recently played this bonus track from Watsky's new album when we went to the concert in Philly. It is really good! Hilarious as well. Also, Daveed Diggs (Jefferson/Lafayette from Hamilton) also has a part in it, soooooo.....

5. "Million Reasons" Joanne, Lady GaGa

Since Lady Gaga first started out as a singer, I have following her. I may not be a fanatic, but I definitely like her both as a singer and as a person. He new album, Joanne, is a little different from previous ones, but I really like the sound. There's still some pop songs, but a lot of them sound more country(?), or of a similar genre. See, I can't even describe it, but I really like it. "Million Reasons" is one of my favorites on the new album.

6. "I Can't Go On Without You" A / B, Kaleo

So, Kaleo is a group that I found through Spotify because of my Hozier playlist. They are an Icelandic rock band. Yup. Their music is so good! "I Can't Go On Without You" has more of a bluesy feel for me, but the lead singers voice is just so great. highly recommend if you do like Hozier.

7. "Heathens" Suicide Squad: The Album, twenty one pilots

So, I have only gotten into twenty one pilots recently, but now I'm cursing myself for not listening to more of their music sooner. Their latest album, Blurryface, is really good. Like, honestly, every song on the track listing hit nice notes with me. I especially liked the song they performed for the Suicide Squad movie. While I didn't really care for the movie (it could have been better), I really liked the soundtrack.

[Also, I highly recommend you look up twenty one pilots, "Can't Help Falling In Love (With You)" cover. It's my favorite Elvis song and I think they did a good job with it.]

8. "Bohemian Rhapsody" Suicide Squad: The Album, Panic! at the Disco

Back to P!atD and Suicide Squad. But, like I said, I really liked the soundtrack. Urie performed this cover live at the concert, and I think he pays tribute to Freddie Mercury with the cover. Urie respects the original, and incorporates his own style as well.

9. "Wrote My Way Out" Hamilton Mixtape, Nas, Dave East, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and Aloe Blacc

And back to Hamilton. Of course. But honestly, who can stay away once they've listened. It's so great!!!! I also really liked the Hamilton Mixtape, the remixes of the original songs and demos were all really good. My favorite so far is "Wrote My Way Out" which is a remix of the song "Hurricane" from the musical.

10. "Superficial Love" Superficial Love, Ruth B.

Ruth B. is the same person who had the really good song "Lost Boy". I heard it on every radio station this summer. That's no joke, it was everywhere. But she has another single, "Superficial Love", which is just as good.

I hope you will come to love these songs as much as I do. But, fair warning, they will get stuck in your head. Enjoy!