10 Simple Ways To Improve Your Friendships

3
“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” ― William Shakespeare  Here are 10 simple ways to improve the most important relationships in your life:1. Do what you say you’re going to do. This one is quite simple. When you make a commitment or a promise, follow through with it. People who trust you will quickly change their minds if they see you are unreliable. 
2. Go the extra mile or even a mere 500 feet. The little things mean a lot. We don’t always have time for grand gestures of love, but never underestimate the power of a good morning text to your best friend or a phone call to your dad at 2 p.m. Pick up an extra pastry for a sister that’s struggling this week. Write your favorite professor a note of affirmation. Always keep in mind what you could be doing to make someone’s day a little better. 

3. Do small things with great love. People always notice your passion. They will forget things that you said and did years from now, but they will never forget how you made them feel. Do everything you do with kindness and good intentions and always look for ways to add value to your friends' lives. 

4. Focus on the positive. Everyone has their shortcomings and obnoxious habits, but these are not the things you should preoccupy yourself with. Focus your attention on all of the things people in your life do right instead of dwelling on the negatives. As difficult as it may be sometimes, learn to accept it for the sake of your long-term friendship with the person you value. 

5. Express gratitude. Saying something kind and affectionate to let your friends know how important they are to you should be something you do every day. Be generous with compliments and be sure that others know how much you appreciate them. Letting others know you are thankful for them will, in turn, remind you how lucky you are.

6. Be more empathetic. It’s easy to forget that the people we love have complex, complicated lives. Remember not to take everything personally and don’t be afraid to ask questions when you see that someone seems a little more distressed than usual.You’d be surprised at how thankful someone will be to you for showing concern. 

7. Share more physical touch. You know, providing that person isn’t freaked out by that sort of stuff. Physical touch is powerful – hugging, holding hands and cuddling have all been proven by the American Psychological Association to reduce stress. Don’t be afraid to be affectionate with those you love. 

8. Show more interest. No one likes that one friend who is only interested in talking about themselves. Make sure you remember to ask about how their day is going, how their course work is this semester or about that guy your sister mentioned a few weeks back. Nothing says, “I care about you,” like showing interest and asking questions. 

9. Don’t take your friendships for granted. It’s easy to forget to nurture the relationships we have because we think they’re always going to be there. If you don’t take care of and remain active in your friendships, they will eventually disappear. Remember why you embarked on each journey with the friends in your life and foster them accordingly. 

10.Spend time together. In today’s society, we’re always on the go. A quick text or call here and there is often the only contact we have with some of our best friends. It’s important to remember that we need to carve out time to spend with those we truly care about. Not only is it necessary for the friendship to remain intact, but it will make you happier, too! If you’re not able to spend time with someone, make sure you’re at least proactive in keeping in touch.