In honor of Discovery Channel's Shark Week, here are a few of the many reasons sharks are incredible organisms.
1. It is possible for some species of female sharks to reproduce without any male contact.
See ya boys!!!
2. Sharks inhabited Earth approximately 200 million years before the dinosaurs.
And you thought Bernie Sanders was old.
3. They are constantly swimming while they are asleep.
Not a lazy bone in their body (or any bones).
4. The average shark goes through 30,000 teeth in their lifetime.
That's a lot of shark tooth puka necklaces.
5. Their wounds heal remarkably fast compared to all other animals.
The Wolverine of fish.
6. Some species can hear prey from 3,000 feet away.
7. Sharks live in all 7 of the world's oceans.
~Not all those who wander are lost~
8. We share a common ancestor.
Now that's long distance family.
9. There are some estimates that for every person killed by a shark, 25 million sharks are killed by people.
10. Sharks never intentionally hunt for humans.
"Fear is the parent of cruelty." - James Anthony Froude