10 Things This Semester Has Taught Me

10 Things This Semester Has Taught Me

Life lessons sometimes happen outside of the classroom.
66

This semester has been one of the hardest semesters that I have been through. From the beginning phases of joy and 'I can do this', to the depressing realization that my chemistry class is only a level-100, to the passive-aggressive coping method of writing about it. There have been ups and downs, like every semester, but for some reason, I just have the end-of-semester blues a little bit more now that I have before. I cannot wait for summer to come (hello freedom!), but I am glad that I am on this journey this semester - it has taught me many life lessons, some big and some small, but most importantly, these are the ten things that this semester taught me, and I will not soon be forgetting.

1. A level-100 class can be just as stressful as a level-300 class.

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have sat and cried over my chemistry homework, or how hard it is to study for General Chemistry II (CHEM-122). I think that my level-300 biology classes are less stressful than this class.

2. It is so easy to make friends when you aren't trying to impress anyone.

It doesn't take much to find your tribe. I learned that by being myself, the friends naturally came, and now I have a support system here that I wouldn't trade for the world. <3

3. Always take advantage of reserving a study room in the library.

If you can reserve the study room in your library - do it. It keeps you out of your bed, and gives you a reason to sit down and study. Invite your friends to come too, even if they aren't studying the same thing. A few hours per week can drastically change your exam scores.

4. Finding your support system is essential.

I learned that through it all, I'll never have to go it alone.

5. Check the weather before leaving for school.

sometimes, the weather likes to play games with our hearts (cue Backstreet Boys), and sometimes, you just end up walking out of the apartment wearing shorts. When it's 40 degrees outside.

6. A pea coat will not fool anyone into thinking you have your sh*t together.

Nothing, especially not a pea coat, will make you look like you have everything all together. And that's okay. Who has anything together at this point in the semester, anyway? Additionally, your pea coat will not make you look like you have your life together if it doesn't have a hood and you get caught in the rain. Just sayin'.

7. Keep a case on your phone.

Do I have to explain this one? All it takes is one fateful trip to Starbucks (hard tile floors)

8. Keep tabs on your wallet.

My catch phrases: Have you seen my wallet? Where is my wallet? Do you remember where I put my wallet? Bonus: Where are my keys?

9. Have AAA on speed dial.

Thankfully, my mom let me use her AAA account this semester. I had accidentally locked my keys in my trunk (don't ask me how, the world may never know). Otherwise, I'm not sure what I would've done other than sit in Emily's apartment and cry all night about it.

10. If you go to Starbucks early before class to study, you might have your life together.

Even if you don't actually study, at least you have a good cup of coffee, right?

11. BONUS: Speak up.

I thought that I had failed an exam. With a 57% to be exact. Heartbroken, I wrote it off as a consequence of taking an exam when I was sick (luckily, we get to retake exams at the end of the semester in this class). I got my test back, and I actually got a 75%, it was just written backwards. Speaking up isn't easy, but it's a grade (and life) saver!