10 Reminders Every College Student Needs To Hear

You are worth so much more than your grade in that class.
126

We are the generation that loves being in the whirlwind of life. We love being busy. We love being in one place yet being restless to go to the next. Making the most of what we have is never a bad thing—until it is. When we’re not careful (because, really, who is in college), this outlook can inevitably take a toll on us, both mentally and physically.

So amidst all of the internships and interviews, here are ten reminders you should carry with you everywhere. Slip it between the pages of your planner, tuck it in the back pocket of your jeans, pin it up to your wall. Just hold it close to you. Because in case no one has told you lately, you are so much more than what you do.

1. Everyone moves through life at their own pace. Where they are may not be where you are. This is okay.

2. Sometimes, you'll wear your major like a name tag. The decisions you make now might feel like the be-all and end-all, but you have so much time ahead of you, you do.

3. Live. Get the tattoo you've always wanted. Shotgun the disgusting Natty Light. Tell the person you like that you like them. Do the crazy thing.

4. ...But if you've had the worst week of your entire life, and you're worn-down, and you're weary, don't be afraid to turn your plans in exchange for a sheet mask and a marathon of Scandal. The FOMO will be real but trust me, your friends will not forget about your existence.

5. If you want to start that new book or TV show, do it. Art can mend you.

6. Tell the people in your life that you appreciate them. Tell your professors how much you enjoyed the lecture, tell your friends you’re thankful for them, tell your parents you love them. Remind people of how much they matter to you.

7. If you miss someone, reach out to them. It is never a bad thing to be the one who cares too much.

8. Hold the door open for people. Say “thank you.” Smile. Be kinder than you feel. The only thing that will matter when you leave school is how you left it, how much you loved.

9. If it’s 2 AM and you’ve been studying all night and your hands are starting to shake from the amount of caffeine you’ve consumed, drink some water and go to bed. Pay attention to what your body is telling you. Whatever happens the next day, you’ll be able to handle better with a little bit of sleep.

10. You are doing the best that you can. And that is enough.

So the next time you feel like it’s a little too hard to breathe, just remember: The grades and the opportunities and the big vision that you see of yourself in ten years are important. But so are you.