10 Reasons You Shouldn't Eat McDonald's

10 Reasons You Shouldn't Eat McDonald's

Minus the obvious ones.

54347
10 Reasons You Shouldn't Eat McDonald's
attn:

Ba da ba ba ba, I'm hatin' it.

It probably comes as no surprise that McDonald's isn't the healthiest choice, but sometimes it just seems like the right choice. Maybe you had no time to cook dinner and you run your kids through the drive-thru, maybe the screaming toddlers you're babysitting want some ice cream, maybe you've been craving one of those beautiful-looking burgers or maybe you're on the go and just need something quick to eat. It's totally understandable that you chose McDonald's for your meal. McDonald's is getting healthier right? It has a cafe now, too! It's probably not that bad of a company, right (I mean, who gives out kids' toys for free!)? WRONG! McDonald's is all a facade, working you like putty in their hands. They'll do whatever they have to do in order to make you believe their lies. Here is what is really going on behind the scenes:

1. The Nugs

If this picture of the nuggets don't turn you off, maybe the ingredients will. McDonald's may act like their nuggets are fresh but here's what's really in them: water, sodium phosphates, food starch, salt, flavoring, wheat starch, dextrose, citric acid, yeast extract, rosemary extract and safflower oil. Let's not forget how the meat was made too! See McCruelty below to learn more.

2. Animal Cruelty

This is not a fake advertisement. PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) has a whole website regarding McCruelty. McDonald's chicken suppliers kills the birds with cruel and inhumane methods. PETA has tried many times to work with McDonald's to create more humane methods in the factories and food industries, but McDonald's has continued to refuse. What does it say about a company if they're willing to kill living creatures with painful methods? In McDonald's slaughterhouses, chickens are dumped out of their crates and hung upside down in shackles. They can suffer broken bones and hemorrhages. The birds also suffer abuse. Sometimes birds have their throats cut while they are still ALIVE. The chickens are also dipped in burning hot water. Please stop supporting McCruelty.

3. The toy hook

These happy little boxes may seem like a good thing, but don't let them deceive you. McDonald's gives children toys starting at a young age so that they're hooked early and continue their consumerism through life.

4. Weight Gain

Okay okay, I know I said I'd hit on the not-so-basic topics, but I couldn't write this article without mentioning the health consequences. McDonald's is unbelievably unhealthy. It is comprised of a surplus of fats, sugars, and preservatives. If you ever want to know the effects on McDonald's on the body, look up the movie Supersize Me (available to stream on Netflix).

5. Low wage pay for employees

Have you ever visited a McDonald's where the workers seem particularly happy to be there? McDonald's pays its workers minimum wage. Workers all over the country have held protests for the mistreatment that McDonald's allows.

6. How many cows does it take?

You may have never wondered this, but how many cows does it take to keep the endless burgers coming? Research says that about 500,000 pounds of beef is processed per DAY, per PLANT! That means about 2,609 cows are made into burgers a day in the U.S.

7. Preservatives

McDonald's uses an excessive amount of preservatives to make their food last for long periods of time. This is not healthy, and you never know when your food was actually made. Gross, right?

8. McDonald's supports rain forest demolition and environmental hazards.

WHAT? The fast food industry impacts our environment? That's crazy! It's the sad truth, though. A lot of the soy-based animal feed that is consumed by chickens to fatten them up is grown in the Amazon. Huge areas of forest and land are cleared for this. This process that McDonald's uses supports unsustainable agriculture and could ruin the natural food cycle.

9. Not Vegetarian or Vegan. It's a lie.

You may think that fries are vegetarian right? Wrong again. Although these fries contain no fresh meat, they are made with an oil that is flavored with meat extract.They are also made with milk and wheat.

10. It's (NOT) fresh!

Although preservatives were already mentioned, it's important to reiterate that McDonald's is not fresh. Look at the difference between the burger on Day 1 and Day 180. Next time you're eating there, remember that your burger might be days old.

What can you do?

If you're feeling strongly about McDonald's and want to make a change, here's what you can do:

1. Stop eating McDonald's

2. Write to McDonald's

3. Organize a demonstration

4. Share leaflets and information with family and friends!

5. Be an activist

6. Go vegetarian