12 Reasons Why You Should Go Caroling This Holiday Season

As told by GIFs.

158

1. The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear

If you learn anything from Buddy or the movie Elf, then you should understand the importance of caroling.

2. It will make you happy

Singing releases endorphins, the brain's "feel good" chemicals, that make you feel instantly happy.

3. It can make other people happy

Who doesn’t love some Christmas carols at their door? Well, who besides Scrooge anyway? Don’t be a Scrooge.

4. Singing is good for your health

Research has shown that singing improves your sleep and improves your heart. It's also great for your lungs and your circulation, and it works your abdominal muscles. Who needs the gym, right? Singing also improves your immune system, or if you're already starting to get that winter cold, then caroling will open up your sinuses.

5. It's free

You don't have to purchase anything, but you can still give a gift to a neighbor or community member. It’s the easiest way to spread holiday cheer without spending any money. All you have to do is give your time, and maybe talents.

6. Family bonding

What better way to spend the holidays than singing alongside your family, or alongside your family away from home if you are still at school.

7. It's fun for kids (or for you to relive your childhood)

Don’t you remember going caroling when you were in elementary school? I know I sang “Feliz Navidad” throughout the halls with my classmates, and it was a blast.

8. You can start a tradition

Get others to join in on the caroling, and it can be something you do every year, YOUR new tradition.

9. It puts people in the holiday spirit

Sometimes people just aren’t in the mood for the holidays, but a friendly greeting from carolers usually will change their minds. Maybe they’ll even do a random act of kindness in the spirit of the season. And that will make the world just a bit happier.

10. Sometimes they'll give you food or snacks in return

Who doesn’t love some home cooked goodies and snacks? You can never go wrong with some classic Christmas cookies.

11. If you're a college student, it's a great stress reliever before or during #finals

Singing releases oxytocin, a brain chemical which is a natural stress reliever.

12. Enhances mental awareness, concentration, and memory

Speaking of finals, you'll probably need all your available concentration and memory to do well on them or at least survive them, so why not improve your odds of success by taking a study break to go caroling?

So, envision this: you decide to go caroling after all, and the next thing you know, you’ll be finished with finals and heading home for the holidays with an extra gift - good cheer to share for the rest of the year.

Merry Christmas, everyone!