10 Reasons Why You Should Go To College Out Of State

Get out and explore!

6874
sanjuan.edu

It's pretty easy to stay in one place your whole life. Some people love that and don't feel the need to venture out and see what the world has to offer, while others are itching in their seats to explore the rest of the world. The beauty of college is that it can be a brand new start and there are thousands of colleges all over the country, as well as world.

Some people don't want to venture far from home, nor can they, which is totally cool too, but those who have the chance and desire to get out? There are many reasons why it will be the best decision you've ever made.

1. You get to meet completely new people.

Going to college in a different state allows you to meet all new people, and for the most part, start over after living and growing up with the same people for the past 18 years.

2. You get to learn different traditions and norms.

No states are truly the same in the United States, and even venturing out a little bit can introduce you to a whole new lifestyle. Go from living in the North to the South? Talk about a definite cultural shock. All good things, though!

3. The price.

Price is a big issue in terms of choosing a college, and although going to college in-state can be significantly cheaper, there are many colleges that are equally cheap with the out-of-state price.

4. You always have a topic of conversation.

Especially if you go to a public in-state school, being an out-of-stater always give you a topic of conversation and makes you stand out, in a good way, of course! Just get ready for the "What made you choose this school?" and "Have you tried this yet?!"

5. You get to try completely new foods.

Although being from New York, bagels and pizza don't exactly compare elsewhere, but there are many interesting places in different states. For example, if you go south? Make sure you get that Southern BBQ and if you go to North Carolina, hit up a Cookout and try one of their milkshakes. Also, going to school out-of-state has introduced me to hushpuppies!

6. You become a more well-rounded person.

Going out-of-state gives you more knowledge and experience in life as you're submersing yourself in a different world and environment from the one you grew up in, even if it is just a state or two over.

7. It makes going home even more special.

You probably won't get to go home as often, so when you do it's a whole event meaning lots of hugs and food.

8. You get to learn different terms.

When going out of state, you'll come to learn that people say things differently all across the country. Soon you'll pick it up and come home saying "y'all."

Most of the time...

9. You get to experience climate change.

Usually, people go from the North to South and when it hits 70 degrees in January, you won't be complaining as your other friends are knee-deep in snow

And finally....

10. You get to bring your friends home and show off your hometown.

During breaks, it is always a good time to bring home some friends to show off your home and take them to all your favorite restaurants and places. You got to see their home, so now it's your turn to show them yours!

There are so many benefits to going college in a different state, and you will be able to meet people that you would have never met before and experience life outside your little bubble, even if it is just for the four years of college! If you have the chance, seize it! It's been the best decision I've made thus far.