10 Reasons Why I Want to Be a Teacher

10 Reasons Why I Want to Be a Teacher

To all those that ask, "why would you ever want to be a teacher?"

131127

As an education major you constantly hear the same comments from your peers over and over such as,“Wow I could NEVER do that,” “You realize you won’t make that much money,” and “So why do you want to be a teacher exactly?” For some reason the field of education is looked down upon by many. To the outside world teaching seems like such a essay job, and they think that's exactly why all us future teachers are majoring in education. However they may not realize that we want to be a teacher for many more meaningful reasons. So I will share with you a few of the main reasons many people, including myself want to become a teacher.

1. I Know that everyday I will be making an impact on someone's life

In how many other fields of work can you say that? As a teacher you know that everyday you are helping to mold and shape your students lives in some small way. You are constantly helping to broaden their minds, so that they can think in new ways. Its rewarding to know that you are helping others constantly.2.Working with kids is amazing!

Personally I think working with kids is much better than working with adults. Kids do not have a filter as we adults do. Kids are open to speaking their minds, being silly, and make the work day so much more interesting.

3. There is never a dull moment.

At the end of the day you know that you will always come home with some funny story to tell about your students. Sure sometimes students act out and can be exasperating, but no two days in the classroom are exactly alike. I know that I will never have to worry about getting bored with my profession.

4. I would much rather be surrounded by construction paper and story books than cubicles.

As a teacher there is so much room for creativity. You are constantly thinking of new and exciting ways to present lessons and making sure that learning is fun for your students. We get to build a classroom all our own, make bulletin boards, and so much more. I’m sure to most people it looks like we are just playing arts and crafts. I would never want to trade that for the mundane office setting.

5. Children are the future.

Someday these tiny human that are in your class will be all grown up. As a teacher you have the ability to help them learn skills and ways of thinking that will be needed when they are out there in the adult world. Someday these will be the people running the country!

6. Because I never want to stop learning.

I love to learn, and I don’t want a day to go by where I don’t learn something new. What better way to continue to learn than to become an educator. I will constantly be learning from my fellow teachers and even my students!

7. Watching students have that “lightbulb” moment makes everything worthwhile.

There is nothing better than watching a student's expression as they get an answer right, or when a concept finally makes clicks in their mind. In that moment all the time and effort you put in as a teacher is worth it. Students are amazed that they can do something all on their own now, and you are just happy to know that you were apart of that.

8. You become a very patient and understanding person.

Being a teacher and working with kids makes you become one of the most patient people. You come to understand that everyone has their own differences and develops at their own rate. This is something that I can apply not only in the classroom, but to life in general.

9. Working with kids brings out the child in me.

This doesn't mean that in the classroom I act like a child, rather that being around them brings back that childlike mindset. The simplest things make them happy, like coloring or recess. Being around them reminds me that I shouldn’t always take everything so seriously, and that I too should stop and take a moment to enjoy the simple things in life.

10. I could never imagine doing anything else with my life.

I honestly couldn’t imagine spending the rest of my life doing anything else. Sure I will have to spend hours making lesson plans, be up at the crack of dawn to get to school on time, and deal with a cranky kid or two but I know that my job is going to be very rewarding. I get to show others how much fun learning can be, and that sounds like the most amazing job out there to me!