10 Things That Make Michigan State The Best Big Ten School

Fight for the only colors, Green and White.

414
Alexa Warford

East Lansing, home to Michigan State University and the Spartans who call its beautiful campus home. There are many reasons why a person would choose to come to MSU ranging from the close-knit community, to the opportunities going to such a well-connected school can offer. You bleed green and white from the moment you formally accept your admission to the first Pioneer Land Grant School. You begin to start chants at random yelling "Go Green!" and hearing all around you a collective "Go White!" in response. Here are some of the many reasons Michigan State University is the best school in the Big Ten Conference.

1. Sparty

Sparty...what a guy! While we may be biased in thinking Sparty is the coolest mascot around, ESPN voted Sparty "Big Ten's Best Mascot" in 2016. You've got to admit there is nothing like Sparty throwing the Spartan flag into the turf before a football game and staking his claim that this is "Spartan Country". Brutus the Buckeye ain't got nothing on Sparty because he's a buckeye...just a fancy type of nut and Michigan says they are the Wolverines, but they don't have a mascot. So trust me when I say, MSU is the leader in awesomeness because well, just look at who represents us.

2. Mark Dantonio

The man, the myth, the legend. Under Mark Dantonio's reign, MSU Football has won multiple titles and Bowl Games. Dantonio has made MSU Football a force to be reckoned with. Beating Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, and Stanford in the last few minutes of the 4th Quarter, Dantonio shows his competitors that the Spartans fight until the very end.

3. Tom Izzo

Another legend that calls MSU his home is Tom Izzo. He has brought MSU Basketball to a whole other level. In fact, in 2014, President Obama presented his March Madness Bracket and had so much faith in MSU Basketball that he had them taking it all. After numerous title wins and multiple Final Four appearances, Izzo is the man. Also, the Izzone at MSU home Basketball games is one of the most hyped student sections around.

4. MSU Dairy Store

There is not one school in the Big Ten that I know of that has its own Dairy Store on campus. Since MSU is a very well known Agriculture school, it makes sense that we have some of the best ice cream around. Our flavors are named after famous Michigan attractions and all the Big Ten Schools. Nothing like a Centennial Swirl milkshake on a sunny day in East Lansing.

5. Our #1 Fields

MSU is able to tout the following career fields as being #1 in the nation. They include elementary and secondary education, rehabilitation counseling, industrial and organizational psychology, African history, nuclear physics, supply chain/logistics. Given these awesome facts you know for sure that, "Spartans Will Make A Difference".

7. Grand River Ave

After a long day of classes, one of the best things to do is walk down the Grand River Ave strip with your friends. Grand River is home to some of the best coffee, restaurants, shops, and bars in East Lansing, which is why it is so popular to the students. Only a five minute walk from North Campus, Grand River Ave is the best place to be on a warm fall, spring or summer evening.

8. Spartan Nation

We have one of the most loyal fan bases in the Big Ten! We love our school and our sports teams so much that we sit through rain, snow, sleet, and blazing heat to support the school we love. Any where you go wearing the Spartan helmet (or anything Spartans for that matter) be prepared for a fan to yell "Go Green!" as you walk by. We are a big family and once you are in Spartan Nation, there is no turning back

9. Our Famous Alumni

With Eli Broad, Magic Johnson, James Caan, Bubba Smith, Draymond Green, Justin Abdelkader, Kirk Cousins, and Tyler Oakley, just a few of our famous alumni, why wouldn't you go where all these successful people first got there start? Chances are you will run into Magic and Draymond at a MSU basketball game, Mr. Broad at the business college giving a talk, and even Tyler Oakley, who comes and occasionally sees a play at the Wharton Center.

10. Our Campus

From the friendly over fed squirrels to the beautiful architecture, MSU's campus is one of the most beautiful in the nation. Over a 100 miles of walking/bike paths throughout campus, which is one way to take it all in. In the spring, summer and fall, see campus from the top of Beaumont Tower to see the leaves change color and bloom. Nothing better than taking in the scenery of the campus you call home on a crispy fall/spring day.