10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Have A Serving Job At Least Once In Their Lives

Waiting tables makes you a better human.

1030
i.ytimg.com

Waiting tables: it’s often considered (especially by people who haven’t ever done it) as a crap job—a job only for people who have to do it, and certainly not a career. As someone who has had two serving jobs, and whose best friend has worked as a full-time server for years, I’m here to say that this is not the case.

1. Waiting tables helps you to develop a specific set of social skills.

There is no room, I have learned, for social awkwardness in waiting tables. The act of approaching groups of strangers with a big fat smile on my face is something I would have been terrified of a few years ago. But, with serving, there’s no escaping this—you have to engage in small talk and be friendly and, to a degree, extraverted with your tables. I have always considered myself a gawky, socially bumbling introvert. My first day as a waitress, I pretty much thought I was going to poop my pants because I knew I would be forced miles out of my comfort zone. And, as it turns out, it was probably the scariest seven hours of my life. After going home, crying about it, and then going back to work over and over again, it finally started to feel OK. Fun, even. And I have noticed that, since being a server, I am able to—dare I say it—thrive in social situations in other aspects of my life. The awkwardness definitely didn’t disappear, but it did become a secondary trait.

2. You have very personal experiences with people you wouldn’t have ever met otherwise.

The thing about being a server that is unlike many other types of work is that you are expected to be a constant in the dining experiences of your customers. It’s not just a quick “Hi” or “Can I help you find anything?” but you get to know your patrons over a considerable stretch of time. I have met some of the kindest, quirkiest, most personable people in my time waiting tables—customers, as well as other servers, cooks, bussers, etc.

3. You learn how to deal with assholes.

Obviously, not everyone who comes to restaurants are joys to be around. Some customers, really, truly suck. Just like some people in the world really, truly suck. But having prolonged experiences with many an asshole over the years has helped me shift my way of looking at grumpy folks. Usually, when people are disgustingly rude to me, I now know that it’s usually not my fault or my problem, but that there’s other stuff going on in their lives to make them act in such a way. It’s really, really not fun to have to stand there with a smile on my face while I’m being yelled at or disrespected—it feels heavy and minimizing and unfair. But I know now that sometimes, trivial battles aren’t worth the fight.

4. You understand how vitally important tips are.

Tips!!! The way so many people make a living. There are plenty of people who tip generously without having the experience of working for tips, but there are actually an alarming amount of people who don’t understand the importance of leaving a fair tip. I have friends who tip little to nothing every time they go out to eat. It’s a few more dollars out of your wallet and into the hands of someone who is working hard for it—don’t be gross!

5. You are able to multitask.

Often, at the beginning of the shift, there is a moment of peaceful emptiness in the restaurant. And just as you’re getting used to that, a rush of what seems like 100 people fly through the door. Sometimes, especially when you’re one of the only servers working the floor that day, this can be ridiculously overwhelming. But you work through the panic of having a billion things to do, organize the tasks in your mind, and do them. And before you know it, the shift is over. And the world did not end.

6. Your memory improves.

I have a notoriously bad memory—I can’t remember dates, names, experiences I’ve had. But after being a waitress for awhile, as strange as it is, I was able to remember orders, menu items, tasks that needed to be done, etc. with little problem.

7. You have a higher tolerance for disgusting things.

Wiping up vomit off the wall in the men’s bathroom: gross. Having trash dumped all over you because the heaping bag broke as you were lugging it out to the dumpster: gross. Cleaning up other people’s half-eaten food and crumbs in general: pretty gross. And then I became desensitized, and now I feel like I can handle anything.

8. You’re on your feet for hours and hours at a time.

This may seem like a con on some people’s lists, but running around like a crazy person for a few hours is pretty good cardio if you ask me. And nothing can ever measure up to the euphoria you experience once you’re off the clock and you can sit down and take a nice, deep breath.

9. You experience the immense pride of a job well done.

It’s hard at first to get people’s orders right, to make 20 people happy at once and to really know what the hell is going on around you. But when you get the hang of it, and someone leaves an appreciative note or gives you a good review online, it is such an immense accomplishment.

10. You get discounts on food!!!

It's true that having a lifetime career as a server is not for everyone, but realize that so many people do exactly that every day. If you don't feel like that's the life for you, having at least a part-time serving job throughout high school or college will make you a better person--I promise.

P.S. Kind of a side note, but I can't write about waitressing and not expose y'all to the wonderful new musical, "Waitress," that's coming out soon. It's based on the beautiful movie starring Keri Russell, and all of the music is composed by Sara Bareilles. I think it's going to be amazing!! Here's a video of the first song that has been released from the musical.