10 Reasons To Love Marvel’s “Ant-Man”

10 Reasons To Love Marvel’s “Ant-Man”

One of summer's hottest movies.

320
10 Reasons To Love Marvel’s “Ant-Man”

The smallest of the Marvel superheroes definitely packs a big punch with intense action scenes and side-grabbing comedy. One thing that Marvel is definitely doing right is making sure the actors on screen have chemistry, comedic-chops and an attractive face with a likable personality. Many of the superheroes also have a large fault or problem in life that they are trying to overcome while also simultaneously saving the world from complete distruction.

“Ant-Man,” however, offers up something a little different than the recent "Avengers" movie and follows more along the same tune as “Guardians of the Galaxy” in terms of fun. Below are 10 reasons why you need to make sure you see one of the summer’s hottest movies.

Potential spoilers below!

1. Paul Rudd is perfect as Scott Lang/Ant-Man.

Rudd has always been a very likeable character, even when he plays less conventional roles. He has a certain charisma and charm that make this film lighthearted and fun. His sense of humor and goofy demeanor blend perfectly with the action scenes and the type of superhero Ant-Man is supposed to be.

2. It's unlike the comic book, but not in a bad way.

In the traditional comic book and the movie, Lang breaks into Dr. Pym’s house and finds the Ant-Man suit. However, in the comic book, Lang hopes to help his very sick little girl and returns to burglary as a final resort. In the movie, Lang does resort to burglary, but only after he realizes he needs money to gain visitation rights to his healthy daughter. His foe, the Yellowjacket, also makes an appearance in this film, which comes later in the comic books.

3. Pint-sized hero packs a big punch.

Literally. Once Lang’s character is in the suit, he is the size of an ant. He is a tiny ant, which makes him barely visible to the human eye. Ant-Man also has the full strength of a grown man. This makes him a deadly force to be reckoned with. The suit also allows him to change size at the push of a button.

4. Michael Douglas as Ant-Man suit creator Dr. Hank Pym.

It was an absolute surprise that Douglas was in the movie alongside Rudd because it was not advertised. I was extremely happy to see Douglas looking healthy after being diagnosed with stage IV cancer a few years ago. At the ripe age of 70, Douglas doesn’t look a day over 60, and he made an excellent Dr. Hank Pym.

5. Refreshing father-daughter moments

Not only is Rudd’s character trying to gain visitation rights to his only daughter, but Dr. Pym also has a strained relationship with his daughter Hope, played by Evangeline Lilly. Throughout the movie, we see Rudd and Douglas’ characters fighting to protect their daughters. Without giving too much of the main plot away, it was nice to see a strong bond between fathers and daughters, especially in a superhero movie.

6. Strong female role played by Evangeline Lilly.

Lilly is definitely a strong female role model and kicks considerable ass throughout the movie. She’s strong, independent and incredibly smart. Lilly is also well-known for her strong female role in all three Hobbit films as Tauriel. While we enjoy seeing Black Widow kicking butt in “The Avengers” and other Marvel films, it’s nice to have another strong woman.

7. Relatable underdog story.

Who doesn’t love a good underdog story? “Ant-Man” opens with Scott Lang attempting to fight a much bigger man than himself and failing. He’s fresh from a few years behind bars at San Quentin and looking to have a better relationship with his daughter. He’s a genuinely good man who was put behind bars for going against a large corporation and helping out the everyday man, just like a modern day Robin Hood.

8. Shrinking down to the size of an ant actually seems possible.

While thinking about “Ant-Man” before seeing the film, you may say to yourself, “How does this seem believable?” Honestly, everything about this movie seems possible. The effortless flow of the film genuinely makes the ant-sized man and the fact that he can control ants using his mind seem possible.

9. Awesome showdown between hero and villain.

In every action film, there is always a glorious battle between good and evil. In this case, the battle is amazing on a large and small scale. What most action movies don’t do is add comedy, which is never a bad thing. The end fight scene was probably the funniest part in the entire movie.

10. Simple, easy-to-follow plot.

Even if you have not seen “The Avengers” or any of the other Marvel superhero films, “Ant-Man” is definitely easy to follow. Since Ant-Man later becomes (spoiler alert) an Avenger, the idea of “Ant-Man” taking place in the same universe is apparent. Scott Lang even has the opportunity to fight one of the current Avengers, but I won’t give too much away.

What I like most about this film is that, even though it is another Marvel superhero movie, it seems new and fresh. It’s unlike any of its other counterparts. Just like other Marvel films, don’t forget to stay after the credits for a sneak peak!