10 Reasons Why I Am Thankful For My Sorority

Sororities have a lot of negative stereotypes. Despite my nonconformist ways, I joined one, and I actually love it.

642

I never thought I would be able to say I was a sorority girl. Prior to going through sorority recruitment, I had a lot of negative preconceptions about fraternities and sororities. It was just something I never had an interest in, or a desire to be a part of. However, much to my surprise, I found myself signing myself up for Rush Week at my college. I decided to give it a chance simply because I knew it would be a good way to meet people before the school year began. I did not intend to actually join one.

Well, this nonconformist joined a sorority after all. And I really love it, too.

Here are ten reasons why I love my sorority and am proud to be a Greek woman:

1. It has made being at a big college not-so-overwhelming.

Being affiliated with Greek life has made my college experience a lot easier in the sense that it made such a large community seem a lot smaller. My school is very large and I went into it knowing I was going to be overwhelmed by this fact. My sorority has helped relieve the stress I once had about going to a school with a large undergraduate population by giving me easier access to resources and helping me meet people in a smaller setting.

2. It provides me with a solid support system.

I had always thought sororities were composed of shallow, materialistic girls who thrived off of belittling each other and only cared about boys and name brands. Yet, ever since I joined a sorority, I have never had such a supportive group of people in my life. Anything that I do, I know my sisters will have my back. We are a mix of many different personalities with different and unique tastes and interests. I respect and will support my sisters in anything they decide to pursue, and I know they will do the same for me.

3. It provides me with connections and networking opportunities.

I never realized all of the benefits that joining a sorority could bring me. Despite the short amount of time I have been in a one, it has already helped me find job opportunities, apply for different positions or scholarships, and it has given me access to a plethora of resources. Nearly every day, I hear of or am told about an organization I should get involved in or an internship I should apply for. I know if I had not joined a sorority, I never would have this type of access to any of these great circumstances.

4. It pushes me to get involved within it and outside of it.

In high school I was moderately involved. But I am thankful for the fact that my sorority has pushed me to participate in things I never would have chosen to participate in on my own. My sisters encourage me to share my ideas and insights with them and with the whole campus community. They have showed me that I have potential to do great things after I graduate, and now is the time to build my foundation and get involved in organizations that matter to me.

5. My sorority is my home away from home.

As corny as it sounds, is my sorority is my second family. The comfort I feel when I am with my sisters is almost equivalent to the comfort I feel when I am with my family. This is a bold statement, but it is true. This group of girls that I was incredibly apprehensive to call my "sisters" at first, have proven to be some of the most genuine and dependable girls I know. If I am ever having a bad day, I know that I can go to any one of my sisters and they will help me through it and be there for me.

6. It has already provided me with friendships that will last a lifetime.

Yes, I had always heard people say that when you join a sorority you are basically paying for your friends. Yes, I am paying a given amount to be a part of an organization that happens to have some pretty cool members that I have come to call my friends. We became friends through our sorority, but our friendships go beyond that. It doesn't make it any less true or genuine. I am not gonna lie to you and say that I am best friends with everyone in my sorority. I'm not, and that's perfectly fine. However, my sorority has helped me find people within it that are dependable and loyal. They are girls that I am proud to not only call my sisters, but friends as well. Furthermore, my sorority has also helped me make friends in other sororities, fraternities and even with people that are not even in Greek life.

7. Through my sorority, I have more opportunities to serve the community.

During high school I did my fair share of community service. This was important to me when I joined a sorority. Part of being a member of a Greek organization is to serve the community. Through my sorority, I am required and encouraged to do community service. We have two philanthropies that we are affiliated with and we do hands-on events and activities with them.

8. It has helped me be more confident in myself.

This is a judge-free zone. I love my sorority because my sisters let me be myself. All throughout high school I struggled with realizing and being who I truly am, and was always afraid to voice my own opinions and ideas. I have found through my sorority that I can be the complete weirdo that I am, and they won't judge me for it and that's a lot to ask of someone.

9. I have access to more academic help.

Within my sorority, there are plenty of resources. For instance, there are older members who have the same major as me and have already taken the same classes that I am just now taking. Therefore, if I have questions about which professors to take for which classes or if I need help studying for exams or with writing essays, I have so many people willing to help.

10. My sorority pushes me to achieve.

I have always been self-motivated, yet my sorority has played a big role lately in pushing me to succeed in everything I do within it and outside of it. I am surrounded by women who want to be successful in the future and who have goals, and it makes me want to do the same.