10 Reasons To Study Abroad In Belfast

10 Reasons To Study Abroad In Belfast

Why I'm convinced Belfast is the perfect student city

344
10 Reasons To Study Abroad In Belfast
Facebook

So, you've decided to take the leap and study abroad while you're in college. Good choice! This will be one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of your life, but first, there's one question to consider: Where will you go? With the whole world at your fingertips, it might seem impossible to narrow down your list to one city.

If you want to spend a semester in the UK or Ireland, London and Dublin are probably the first options that come to mind. What most students don't know is that they're overlooking the best option in this area: Belfast, Northern Ireland. With its rich heritage and vibrant culture, it's undoubtedly one of the best cities for both academics and student life. Before you make your final choice, here are ten reasons to keep Belfast at the top of your list.

10. The Accents

Let’s get this out of the way. The accents are unreal. Northern Irish people will insist that accents from the Republic of Ireland sound better, but it’s not true. By the end of your stay, you’ll be able to distinguish Irish from Northern Irish accents and recognize the beauty in both. You'll also learn how to use expressions like, "What's the craic?" (pronounced "crack" and meaning "what's up") to sound like a local. Whether it’s your new best friend or a taxi driver, you’ll be asking questions just to hear them talk.

9. "Game of Thrones"

Any GOT fans out there? Much of the series is filmed in Northern Ireland, and Belfast's Titanic Studios are home to the Iron Throne. There are several great tours that begin in Belfast and take you to filming sites around the country, and some even offer photo ops with cloaks and swords to give you the true Westeros experience. The cast and crew are known to hang out at popular pubs around the city, so if you hurry you might be able to catch them taking a break from filming the final seasons.

8. The size.

Belfast is the perfect size for a city, since it's much smaller than Dublin and seems tiny in comparison to London's sprawling metropolis. It gets all the events and main attractions of a capital city but is still incredibly easy to navigate, which is good news if you're a foreigner trying to get your bearings. Within the first week at your new university, you'll learn how to walk to City Hall and how to find the nearest Tesco with ease. Transportation is convenient with buses being an inexpensive way to get around, and there are several reliable cab companies with easy-to-use apps if you need to get somewhere fast.

7. Activities.

For a relatively small city, Belfast has lots of activities to keep you busy outside of classes. Victoria Square is a beautiful shopping center near City Hall, and on the weekends you can visit St. George's Market for great food, artwork and locally made products. Visit Titanic Belfast if you want to see the museum, the building site of Titanic and the SS Nomadic, the last vessel of the White Star Line. If you're feeling adventurous, there are great places to hike right outside the city. You can even see castles while you're at it! Belfast Castle stands at the base of Cave Hill, which offers a stunning view of Belfast and the surrounding areas. You can also easily drive to Carrickfergus Castle or visit the town of Bangor for a day at the beach.

6. Student-friendly.

Belfast is filled with thousands of students from around the world who attend its world-class universities. Queen's University of Belfast is the ninth oldest university in the United Kingdom with a ranking in the top one percent of global universities. The Lanyon Building at Queen's (pictured above) is also one of the architectural highlights of the city, so make sure you stop by before heading to one of the great bars in the Students' Union across the street. Other institutions include Ulster University, St. Mary's University College, Stranmillis University College, The Open University, and Belfast Metropolitan College. With no shortage of universities to choose from, you'll certainly find a top-notch program as you decide where to spend your semester abroad. Belfast is also one of the safest and most affordable cities in the UK, making it a positive and enriching environment for student life.

5. Nightlife.

Belfast also has student-friendly nightlife with plenty of destinations for dancing and drinking with friends around the city. If you're looking for a spot to enjoy a pint of Guinness while listening to local musicians, your best bet is the Cathedral Quarter. Historic pubs like The Duke of York and The Dirty Onion offer quality beer, lots of character and great music any day of the week. If you're looking for dancing (and most of your classmates), you'll want to visit clubs like Limelight and Ollie's or even Mandela Hall in Queen's Students' Union. Clubs in Belfast usually close at 2 a.m., giving you enough time to order Chinese food when you get home.

4. Culture.

Northern Ireland has an incredibly rich heritage, and its culture is a fascinating mix of British and Irish customs. Since the division of Ireland in 1921, Northern Ireland has had its own government while remaining part of the United Kingdom. This division led to decades of violence as some in Northern Ireland fought to unite the island once again. Visitors can enjoy a culture that is uniquely Northern Irish, and they can compare it with customs in the Republic of Ireland and England as they further explore these nations. Northern Irish people love their country and are proud of their culture, and they are more than willing to share it with with travelers like you!

3. The history.

Closely tied to contemporary culture in Northern Ireland is its troubled and turbulent history. Deep divisions remain from the decades of violence known as The Troubles, and you can visit the murals commemorating this struggle in different parts of Belfast. You can also visit the walls which still divide predominantly Catholic and Protestant communities since religion is inseparable from this conflict. Even though these monuments remain, visitors will marvel at how quickly and effectively Belfast has become a stable and prosperous city once more. While you study in Belfast, you'll be able to learn how your fellow students feel about the status of Northern Ireland and see how the past has impacted their lives, and you'll also see how they are working hard to secure a peaceful future for their country.

2. The Island

Even though you're living in Northern Ireland, you have the whole island to explore! Don't miss the natural beauty on every coast, from the Giant's Causeway to the Cliffs of Moher. Taking the train to Dublin is easy, so make sure to see the sights and learn how to pour the perfect pint at the Guinness Storehouse. Take time to visit smaller towns too, like Derry and Galway, and enjoy the character of the local pubs. As you get more comfortable in your study abroad location, you'll learn the art of the weekend trip and soon you'll be planning visits all over Ireland. You have very limited time overseas, so write down a list of places you want to see and make sure you hit them all!

1. The people.

Here it is, the top reason to study abroad in Belfast -- the people! Northern Irish people are famous for being some of the friendliest on earth, and this stereotype is definitely true! You'll feel welcomed from the moment you step off the plane, and you'll be astonished by the sincerity of strangers everywhere you go. As a student you'll have no trouble making friends with your new classmates, and soon Belfast will not only feel like a comfortable place, it'll feel like home. So start looking at those applications, and keep Belfast in mind as you plan your dream study abroad trip. You'll only have one regret -- leaving when the semester is over!