10 Reasons Stevie Nicks Is The Greatest Female Rock Star

She's more than just chiffon and rumors.

621
Wordpress

The name Stevie Nicks is often synonymous with visions of swirling chiffon skirts, top hats, and beautiful yet cutting lyrics. However, Ms. Nicks, who has been a part of the musical landscape for more than 40 years, is more than just a unique figure. She is multi-talented, and in my opinion, the greatest female rock star. Here are just 10 reasons why.

1. She is an incomparable songwriter.

Stevie Nicks began composing songs when she was very young, often rooted in the poetry and diary entries she jotted down. However, over the years, those poems became songs with simple yet beautiful lyrics. "Dreams" speaks such truth about a painful breakup, and "Landslide" is quite simply one of the most beautiful songs ever written, with poetic lyrics and an understanding of life well beyond her years, as she was only in her twenties when she wrote it.

2. She has never been afraid to be different.

Despite ever-changing fashion, Stevie Nicks has never shied away from long, flowing skirts, lace detailing, and platform boots. Even now, when she has to have those platform boots custom made because they are no longer in fashion, she continues to wear what she likes and does not give a second thought to it.

3. She is known for being a solo artist aside from being a band member.

Although Stevie Nicks' fame can be attributed to her success with Fleetwood Mac, she also pursued a solo career that has now spanned thirty-five years. As an individual, she is recognized and is often the face of Fleetwood Mac because of her uniqueness.

4. Her voice is amazing.

Like most artists, her voice has changed over time, but it gives her older songs a new edge and her newer songs a maturity that is often difficult to see in an industry dominated by artists under thirty. Her raspiness is breathtaking to this day. No one could ever mistake her voice for that of someone else.

5. Her love life is as legendary as her male counterparts.

It is very acceptable in the rock industry for male rock stars to be notorious for their exploits, but Stevie Nicks has been one of the rare female exceptions. While her list of famous partners is somewhat short, most notably containing Eagles drummer, Don Henley, and Fleetwood Mac drummer, Mick Fleetwood, what will go down in history is her continually tumultuous relationship with guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, whom she was dating when the two of them joined Fleetwood Mac in 1975. The breakup of their relationship is documented musically through the classic album "Rumours." In the 40 years since, their relationship has been a series of ups and downs, but that has never stopped her from continuing to write about her love for him, which will undoubtedly never fade. Quite interestingly, she married only briefly in the 1980s, and her romantic ventures since have been quiet.

6. She overcame addiction.

In the 1970s and 1980s, cocaine was a very common and accessible drug in the music industry. Stevie Nicks fell under the spell of the drug in the late 1970s, and it took almost a decade before she was checked into rehab to treat the addiction. Unfortunately, it was only the first hurdle. While trying to get through the withdrawal symptoms, she was prescribed Klonopin, which she quickly became addicted to. She overcame that addiction in the early 1990s. Stevie Nicks is living proof that serious drug addiction can ruin your life, but the chance for redemption is still there.

7. She was sexy without being over-the-top.

Stevie Nicks never had to be anything other than who she was in order to be noticed. As mentioned before, she wore long skirts and suede boots, not caring that many other women in the music business were wearing tight jeans, tops showing bare midriff, and short skirts. Despite that, there was something positively magnetic about her look. She may not be conventionally beautiful, but there is a mysticism about her, particularly in her wide, dark brown eyes.

8. She never claimed to be the first to write autobiographical songs.

Many people seem to think that Taylor Swift was the first artist to ever write songs about her exes. Stevie Nicks wasn't the first, either, but hers were certainly some of the boldest. "Dreams" and "Silver Springs," while beautiful songs in response to Lindsey Buckingham's brash "Go Your Own Way," are quite cutting at their core.

9. Her live performances are mesmerizing.

The magnetism of a live Stevie Nicks performance goes back to her almost out-of-control performances of "Rhiannon" in 1976 (check them out on YouTube if you haven't seen them). In combination with her flowing, nearly antique choice of attire, it is the delivery of the songs that adds a timeless quality to them. "Landslide," which was originally recorded in 1975 and sounds so much sweeter and more nostalgic in recent performances. As someone who has seen her live, I can attest to the fact that it is difficult to keep your eyes off of her.

10. She is still recording and writing as both a member of Fleetwood Mac and a solo artist—and she is 68!

Stevie Nicks has stayed busy, particularly during the last two years. She released her eighth studio album, "24 Karat Gold," in 2014, just prior to going on the road with Fleetwood Mac, who toured throughout the rest of the year and into 2015.