10 Reasons Richmond, Virginia Is The Best Place To Live

3890
richmondprints.com

No matter how many times I used to say I would never stay in Richmond, it is undeniable that the city has grown on me. As I got older, I realized that Richmond has some of the most amazing views, events, and people; not to mention, it was voted the "most content area" to live in 2014.

These are a few of my favorite reasons to live in Richmond.

We have our own island

Not many cities can boast about having their own island. However, every teenager and young adult in Richmond and the surrounding areas knows that Belle Isle is the spot to go when the temperatures start to rise. Cross the bridge to the rocks and you can find a place to lay out and tan, or dip your feet in the James River and even take a little swim, if you’re willing. On Belle Isle there are also walking and biking trails, as well as rock climbing walls. It is not what you would picture as your typical island, but we sure do enjoy it when the weather is nice.

Richmond’s location lets you experience all four seasons

In Richmond, we get a feel for all four seasons. The pollen will be up your nose in the spring, but the flowers and trees producing it are decorating the countless gardens around the city. Although the summer heat and humidity can be unbearable at times, the river provides a great place to cool down while not having to drive the two hours to the beach. The fall brings perfect breezy temperatures and beautifully colored trees. We can boast about enjoying snow in the winter and getting days off of school for only a few inches, but also enjoy making snowmen without an overwhelming amount of snow on the ground to keep us trapped at home.

The views around the city are amazing

Richmond is absolutely beautiful. Throughout the city, you will find breathtaking views of the James River and the city skyline. Some spots are kept secret by the locals, but no matter where you stand, you’ll find spectacular scenery. If you’re in the area, check out Libby Park, The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing, or simply lay down in the grass on Brown’s Island. In addition, the seven hills around the city give you the chance to view the city from a few different perspectives: Union Hill, Council Chamber Hill, French Garden Hill, Navy Hill, Gambles Hill, Shockoe Hill, and Church Hill.

History is around every corner

Within the city of Richmond, you will find various sites which are sure to please history lovers. Check out the Capitol, the American Civil War Museum at Historic Tredegar, Monument Avenue, Hollywood Cemetery, and the Virginia War Memorial, just to name a few. And if you are up for a day trip, Colonial Williamsburg is only a 45 minute drive from the city.

You can’t stay away from the festivals

Throughout the summer and fall, Richmond hosts a number of festivals that attract people from all over. One of the biggest festivals in the city, and one that I love, is the Folk Festival. Music tents and food stands line the James River for a great view of the city. You can dance or simply enjoy the music and culture. A few other big festivals that we have are Riverrock, a time to see all the water sports in action and enjoy live music, and the Greek Festival, a tradition in the city that has plenty of Greek food and crafts to enjoy while watching the Greek dancers perform.

The city tours aren’t just for the tourists

Due to all of the history in our city, you can always learn something new on a tour. No matter how long you’ve lived in Richmond, the city tours can teach you another interesting fact you didn’t already know. One of my favorites is the Segway tour. I don’t know how often you get the opportunity to ride around on a Segway, but this tour is definitely for anyone wanting to have a good time. The tour guides teach you how to ride, and before long, you’re racing around Brown’s Island and through the beautifully painted graffiti walls. The Trolley Tour is always an option if you want to relax and see some of the hidden spots in the city, not to mention that you can take a tour of the Capitol or the Governor’s Mansion.

Virginia is for lovers, and Richmond is the best place to find one

In a study conducted in 2014, surveys showed that Richmond had a low divorce rate and low unemployment rate. Almost 30 percent of the population in Richmond is unmarried, making Richmond the No. 1 city in the nation to find love. Not to mention, the city hosts hundreds of perfect date locations for every personality type. So what are you waiting for?

There is something for every athlete or non-athlete to enjoy

Every year, Richmond hosts the Monument Avenue 10k. Even if you are not running in the race, the support of everyone in the city keeps the sidelines packed with friends and families cheering the runners on. For more experienced kayakers, the James River provides plenty of rapids to take you on a wild ride down the river. And for the first time ever, Richmond is hosting the UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale) World Championships. Yes, this is a big deal! The city is basically shutting down so everyone can go watch the bikers race.

Enjoy limited city traffic, or drive to DC for a thrilling driving experience

Richmond is big enough to give you the city feel, but small enough to avoid major traffic congestion and the inconveniences that come with large cities. Don’t get me wrong, rush hour on the highways can be awful. But it is nothing compared to DC traffic. However, if you wish to experience the city life within our own state, you can drive to DC in two short hours.

The mountains and the beach are within a day’s drive

Whether you want to go apple picking in the fall or boogie boarding in the summer, Richmond is within a one to two hour drive from either attraction. Carter Mountain Orchard hosts their annual apple picking season between September and November, where you can go pick your own apples or enjoy the crisp hot cider and an apple cider donut fresh out of the fryer. On the other side, the Virginia Beach Boardwalk welcomes thousands of visitors every summer. Enjoy the waves during the day and listen to live music at Neptune’s Park at night!