10 Reasons I Actually PREFER Long-Distance Relationships

The Hidden Benefits Of A Long-Distance Relationship

2052
Sophia Coleman

1. My Life Means My Life.

The other half of the relationship is a wonderful addition but that doesn't mean I need to entangle myself in you. Distance keeps us each moving forward, just not attached at the hips.

2. I'm Allowed To Have A Bad Hair Day.

It may seem ridiculous, but I cherish the days my SO doesn't have to see my un-showered, still in pajamas self and I can just relax knowing I don't need to dress up today. Not to mention that works wonders for the relationship.

3. Facetime Is Cheap.

It's true, I'm a college student and I don't have the funds to eat out every weekend or buy tickets to every concert, game or show that comes my way. So while Facetime is certainly not the ideal date night, it's a time set aside for my SO and I get just as excited as any other date night.

4. Time Spent Together Is Never Taken For Granted.

Whether that's once a month or once a year, every moment with my SO feels like it's crafted just for us. Even that fight on the steps outside my dorm is worth it if it means I'm spending time with you. But let's try to avoid that.

5. Telling You About My Day Is Exciting!

Everything that happens in my day I get to confide in my SO because they weren't already there living it with me. That means telling you about the guy who cut me off in line for the bus is just as dramatic as when I lived through it and I love that I can share this with you.

6. Romance Gets Creative.

Long-distance relationships are potentially so much more romantic than if the two people are living together. You have to know the person you're with and care about them enough to surprise them with bedtime stories or love letters doused in your cologne or good morning voicemails that put a smile on your face.

7. Communication Reaches An All Time High.

If you can last a year, hell even three months long-distance, then you did something right. I firmly believe that communication is key and maintaining a long-distance relationship pushes both partners to express themselves better at new levels.

8. Adventure Time In New Cities.

When my SO comes to visit I get to show the most important person in my life just what my world is like. The monuments, the sandwich shop down the block, and the new restaurant you were excited to take me to all have a new meaning for us now and the memories expand across so many places.

9. Trust.

While trust can turn into trust issues, these issues are dealt with face on. This may make or break a relationship but when you develop trust as a couple everyone comes out a better person because of it and long-distance relationships can grow this trust by leaps and bounds simply because you need to be open with your SO and trust in the relationship.

10. Lots Of Growth.

Being in a long-distance relationship is a lot of work. It's an added difficulty that many people don't understand. That means no matter what happens, both partners learn a lot about themselves, about their partner, and about the commitment of a relationship. It may be a lot of work, but everyone takes something away from it that makes the relationship important in your growth as a partner and an individual. After a few long-distance relationships of my own I know I've come out a better person because of them. So for what it's worth, thank you to the men who showed me a new side of myself.