10 Reasons To Get Hyped For Season 2 Of "Riverdale"

I started watching for Cole Sprouse, and I stayed for the epic murder mystery, and I'm coming back for more.

208

I haven't binge-watched many shows on Netflix, but one show I did make time to watch this summer was the CW hit "Riverdale," and I am so glad I did. For those of you wondering what all the fuss is about, Riverdale is a TV show set in the universe of the Archie comics, in which Archie, Jughead, Betty, and Veronica are the main characters. As the cast has well-documented, the show itself is much darker and grittier than the comics, and season 2 promises to continue farther along this path. In the meantime, I absolutely loved season 1 and cannot wait to find out what mysteries these characters will encounter in the future.

1. More of "Bughead," AKA Betty and Jughead, because the fans just can't get enough of their cuteness

The juxtaposition of the "good girl" with the "bad boy" is an old trope that many shows have used, but what makes it work here is that Betty isn't totally "good" and Jughead certainly isn't all "bad." They find solace in each other's complexities and remind each other that it's okay to feel a little out of place in the world. I've always found their relationship very sweet and endearing, and though it will supposedly be "tested" in season two, I look forward to seeing how they move forward together.

2. A well-deserved larger role for lovable friend Kevin Keller

It is a truth universally acknowledged by Riverdale fans that Kevin simply did not get enough screen time in season 1. He steals every scene he's in with sassy lines and words of wisdom. I do hope that in season 2 he gets more character development beyond just "funny gay best friend," because the rest of the show is so good that his role in Riverdale deserves to be just as valued.

3. The long-awaited appearance of Veronica's father, Hiram Lodge

Though he never appeared in person in season 1, Veronica's jailed father was no doubt a main character in spirit and a driving force behind the plot. I look forward to seeing how Veronica, who became increasingly fed up with her father's shady business deals as season 1 progressed, will come to terms with his return to her life. Despite her posh exterior, Veronica was forced to grow up quickly in the wake of her father's sentencing, and I have a feeling that his release from jail will challenge her morals even more.

4. Jughead's continued descent into the Southside Serpent lifestyle

I've read from several sources that in season one, Jughead joining the Serpents will test his relationship with Betty more than any of the season one drama with his father and Jason's murder ever did. Jughead is such an interesting character because despite his dysfunctional childhood, he seems to have a strong moral compass and sense of righteousness. As the saying goes, "it's the quiet ones you need to watch out for," and if the end of season one was any inclination, fans will need to watch closely for Jughead's character arc in season two.

5. Polly's baby, which caused extensive drama in season one, will finally be born

Polly's baby caused turmoil in her household during the second half of season 1, but I'm curious to see how, if at all, the actual birth of her baby will impact her relationship with her family. This baby carries both Cooper and Blossom genes and will be born into a world that fought extensively over its right to live. I have a feeling that Betty, as the baby's godmother, will have a very motherly role in the baby's early upbringing, but that all depends on Betty's own character development.

6. "Dark Betty" will come into full force.

We saw a taste of this in season one, a glimpse of a girl so caught up in seeking justice for her sister, Veronica, and disrespected girls everywhere that she took on a "dark" identity in the dead of night and practically tortured Veronica's abuser. This episode came up a few times throughout the rest of season one, but what's interesting is that this took place in episode three and throughout the rest of the season, Betty never quite returned to this dark place. I look forward to seeing if anything in season two will drive Betty back to this demonized alter-ego.

7. Tortured beauty Cheryl Blossom will (supposedly) get an intriguing love interest

While watching season one, I frequently struggled with whether I should feel bad for Cheryl for having to deal with her brother's murder, or hate her because she was mean to the girls at school. I generally lean towards disliking her, but with a rumored love interest for her in season two, I now wonder if she'll be departing slightly from her chilly exterior while seeking new companionship. I currently struggle to imagine her truly opening up to someone about how she feels about Jason's death and the toll it took on Riverdale, but she is certainly a good candidate for juicy character development.

8. The future of Pop's, Riverdale's beloved 24/7 eating establishment, will be tested

For most of season one, Pop's was home to many of the show's lighter moments in the form of milkshakes shared among friends, but that all changed in the final moments of the season finale when it became a site of violence and bloodshed. Pop's is more of a character on Riverdale than some of the actual people on the show, and it lends an interesting perspective on how to create a show with a realistic, engrossing setting. I'll be sorry if anything happens to Pop's in season two, but I know that the gang will all be there ready to save the day if it does.

9. In the midst of all the drama, high school marches on for these sophomores (?)

As is the case with so many teen shows, the cast on Riverdale looks about ten years older than their supposed status as high school sophomores. However, I actually appreciate that they're not high school seniors because I feel that there are already quite enough shows and movies about high school seniors in particular. I enjoy the very "high school" moments that peek through the serious drama on Riverdale, like the high school dances, impromptu house parties, and lunches in the cafeteria. They almost make me nostalgic for my sophomore year in high school. Almost.

10. The fateful answer to the question, who shot Fred Andrews?

I'll be honest, even though Archie is technically the main character on Riverdale, his character in season one was by far the most boring out of anyone in the cast. He seemed to never learn from his mistakes and was largely clueless on how to tactfully interact with people. However, I did enjoy watching his relationship with his dad develop and deepen. With Fred seemingly incapacitated at the end of season one, I hope that Archie matures a bit and displays a more complex emotional side in response to this attack on his closest family.

One of the themes I've gathered is that as dark as season one of Riverdale was, season two promises to be even darker and grittier, though not veering into the supernatural as many CW shows do. I generally prefer watching comedies to dramas, but this show has such an engrossing plot that I can't help but wait with bated breath for every successive episode. Season two premieres on Wednesday, October 11, and for new and devoted fans alike, it promises to be one wild ride.