I'm glad I moved out of my hometown
Family Friends

10 Reasons I’m Glad I Moved Out of My Hometown

Even If It Was Only for College

335

1. I haven't been stuck in the same city my whole life.

Thanks to college I've found myself in two towns different from my hometown. I was able to experience small-town Iowa living thanks to my community college, and now an average sized city, college town thanks to my university. Both of these places have helped shape and mold me into the person I am today just as much as my hometown did. I am thankful I have been able to experience living in such different sized cities, it has helped me broaden my perspective on basic living. After experiencing such different towns, I am surer of what kind of city I want to live in once I start my career.

2. I was able to start completely fresh.

This was a big deal to me coming right out of high school. Going to a school where I knew absolutely no one going in, was such a blessing. I was forced to open up and build my own friendships, I wasn't handed friendships on a silver platter, I had to earn them myself. This is where I found some of the friendships I am most thankful for. I also had to sit down and really reflect on myself and where I was going in life. Over the years I have really grown internally with myself, all thanks to a fresh start. With a fresh start comes many blessings, in all forms.

3. I'm not limited to my high school friends.

As we all grow older we take on our lives day to day, in different cities. This might be the best part about moving away from home. Making new friends is always a scary thing. You have to put yourself out there while hoping someone likes you enough to reciprocate your weirdness. The friends I made outside of my hometown help shaped me into the strong woman I am more than my hometown friends did. My new friends over the past couple of years know and understand me more than my hometown friends because they have physically been there with me through things. I am not saying ditch your hometown friends, because these friendships are definitely still important. Keep tabs on your friends from back home and still hang out when you come back, they are still those friends you made your childhood memories with, still love them as much as you love your new-town friends.

4. I have learned how to be truly independent.

You can never fully expect anyone else to look out for yourself, besides yourself. You have to be selfish in this world, whether you like it or not. This is something I struggled with for a long time. I always found myself putting others before myself, praying for others before myself, etc. I never focused on myself first, I was always too worried about other people. Once I moved out on my own, I finally learned what it is like to be independent and count on myself for things. Not only physical things but mental as well. Always make sure you are okay in both ways.

5. I have discovered new interests.

If I stayed in my hometown my whole life I would be stuck doing to same things. I would never be able to truly branch out and experience other interests. If it weren't for my non-hometown friends I would have never been introduced to so many things I love now. Branching out is something everyone should do, because you never know what is on the other side of that experience you were always too scared or shy to do.

6. I have learned how to manage money better.

Money makes the world go 'round, right? Well, wrong. But a lot of people think so. Money is a big part of the world we live in. Without it, we would not be able to live. Managing money is always a struggle. Yes, of course, there are always things and trips or vacations I want to spend my money on, but there are bills and necessities I need to spend my money on. Moving out of my hometown did not make me realize this but moving out helped me put it into a more realistic perspective. You need money to live and survive in this world. Even though your parents are back at home, make sure you watch yourself with your money as they probably did, too. You don't want to be that person selling their things desperate for money when you can't afford your monthly bills.

7. Holidays are more exciting.

This is also one of the best parts about moving away from home. When the holidays roll around it always gives you an excuse to head home and see everyone for a guaranteed couple of days. You never really know how necessary time with your family is until you head back to your new home. Not living at home and seeing your family every day gives you a new appreciation for the time you get to spend with them. And the best part about it… is that feeling is mutual with your family as well. Having you home is just as fun and exciting for your family as it is for you, if not more… just ask your mother.

8. I have learned from my mistakes.

Mistakes are bound to happen, we are only human. There will be times when you did the wrong thing or said the wrong thing, leading to a big mistake. Some mistakes are bigger than others. Some do not matter as much as others. But the biggest thing about a mistake… owning up to a mistake and taking the heat for whatever comes afterwards. This is something I once struggled with but have learned to do well. Always figure out how to fix your mistakes, even if it means you cannot do it alone. Reach out for help when needed but remember to be as independent as possible for as long as you can. You might end up like me and impress yourself with what you are capable of.

9. I can go out in public without running into everyone I know.

Every time I am home my dad gets annoyed to go out in public with me. We can head to the grocery store and seven people will say hi to me, while three of them stop and talk for a small catch-up conversation. I appreciate this when I am home, but it does get annoying for the people you are tagging along with. Sometimes it's nice to go out in public and mind your own business the entire time, not getting interrupted by your hometown associates. I can run to the store and pick up my quick list, get in and out in five minutes, rather than thirty.

10. A new appreciation for my hometown.

Your hometown will always be your home at heart. It is the place that shaped you and molded you into the person you are. The high school, each restaurant, the back roads… all of it. You know it like the back of your hand. It is always exciting heading back home and going to your favorite places all around town. Moving away from home gave me a new appreciation for my hometown. I used to think it was lame and there was nothing to do, but now I stay busy the entire time I am home. Who knew I would miss driving around certain streets just because of the trees and the beautiful houses? Not me.

I truly believe moving away from your hometown is something everyone should experience at least once in your life, if at all possible. It opens up your eyes and mind to new perspectives and relationships you would never have dreamed of. If I was to stay in my hometown the past couple of years, I would not be the woman I am today. I would not have changed as much for the better and I would not have grown so independent. I recommend to anyone who can, leave that comfort zone and move out of your hometown.

Peace and Blessings,

Kayla Jean Brady