10 Reasons Why 'Game Of Thrones' Is Worth The Hype

It isn't just a show, but rather a phenomenal experience.

2712
HBO

Disclaimer: This article contains spoilers. If you are not caught up with all 7 seasons of "Game of Thrones," read no further.

If you're anything like me, until recently, you did not understand the hype of this HBO TV series. But, fear not. Whether you couldn't care less or remain totally obsessed, I'm here to give you 10 reasons why "Game of Thrones" is absolutely phenomenal and the best show on television.

1. It is so much more than nudity and violence.

While it does have a fair amount of the two, the story is about so much more. It has everything — action, romance, drama, violence, family, and mystery. Characters you love will die and plot twists you never predicted will be revealed. Episodes like the "Rains of Castamere" (Red Wedding), "Hold the Door," "The Walk of Punishment" and "Book of the Stranger" are thrilling, heartbreaking and intense.

2. The soundtrack is perfection.

If I'm honest, this is the only reason I started watching this show. I had accidentally discovered the soundtrack while shuffling through Amazon music. I was blown away. It is perfect to accompany you whether you are studying for a test or driving on the road. Ramin Djawadi’s score perfectly complements and captures the essence of every scene. Some of my favorites are "Light of the Seven," "Love in the Eyes," "Goodbye Brother," "Rains of Castamere" and "Valar Morghulis." "Light of the Seven" premiers during the season 6 finale in which Cersei blows up the Sept of Baelor. The track is ominous and beautiful at the same time, foreshadowing that something terrible is about to happen...

3. The characters are realistic and complex.

Unlike other television shows, "Game of Thrones" presents characters that do not neatly fall into the “good” and “bad” ends of the moral spectrum. There are some characters you absolutely love (for me, Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister and Arya Stark). There are some you hate right from the start, like Cersei Lannister, Joffrey, and Ramsay Bolton. Yet, they all have their strengths, flaws and everything else in between. I find myself feeling a soft spot for Cersei when her motherly instincts kick in. Despite hating Theon Greyjoy during the first few seasons, he has slowly emerged as a hero. I have a love/hate relationship with Sansa and Jaime and I'm constantly conflicted about my stance. Each character brings something complex to the story and isn’t simply there to serve as comedic relief, a sidekick, a love interest or the archetypal hero/enemy. You understand their motives, sympathize with their struggles, and feel their highest highs and lowest lows.

4. The plot line is totally unpredictable.

The story is rich, complex and beautifully written. The dialogues are incredible and the plot twists are compelling. I mean, Jon Snow’s truth, the Frey pies, Tyrion’s escape, and Cersei’s trial are just a few unexpected surprises to mention.

5. The emotions experienced are profound and universal.

"Game of Thrones" is thought-provoking and leaves you wondering what you would do if you were in the characters’ shoes. It questions morals, crushes faith, lets loose the worst of impulses and puts life into perspective. Each episode takes you on a wild ride full of twists and leaves you with more questions than you started with. That’s the beauty of it!

6. The theories are just as intriguing.

"Game of Thrones" becomes a lot more interesting when you begin reading and formulating theories. The Internet is full of plausible hypotheses. The “R + L = J” theory had been around forever, and was recently proven to be true! Whether it is that Jaime will kill Cersei, Bran is the Night King or Tyrion is actually a Targaryen, everything and anything sounds crazy and completely possible.

7. The cast is unmatched.

Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams-- need I say more? Their acting is phenomenal. They portray the characters extremely well. Particularly, Alfie Allen, the man who played Theon Greyjoy, is incredible. Despite not having read the books, I feel a deep connection to most characters on the show.

8. The production value is through the roof.

The settings and special effects are visually stunning. King’s Landing, Dorne, the Army of the Dead, and dragons flying in Meereen give the feel of a truly theatrical experience.

9. It presents a fantastical world away from reality.

For sixty minutes, you become a part of Westeros. The direwolves, white walkers, dragons, dark magic, and sword fighting become the norm and you are left in awe of the spectacle.

10. The politics and struggle are relatable.

Arya’s kill list, Dany’s conquest, Brienne’s loyalty, Melisandre’s undying faith, and the Lannister mastermind embody the thirst for power and revenge, and the tactics needed to sit on the Iron Throne. The show mirrors reality in so many ways- the most prominent being how one event can set off a chain of others. It is scary to think that Rhaegar and Lyanna’s secret wedding alongside Littlefinger’s plot to murder John Aryn began the race to the Iron Throne, encapsulating Ned Stark’s death, the Battle of Blackwater, the Battle of the Bastards and the ongoing chaos in King’s Landing.

Season 8 does not come out for another year, and I have serious withdrawal. Undoubtedly, "Game of Thrones" is the best show on television. It is not just a show, but a worthwhile experience.