I'm recovering from Saint Patrick's Day festivities and attempting to finally finish (*cough* start *cough*) writing my undergraduate thesis, so this week's article is going to be a short but sweet list. I was lying on my couch, staring at my ceiling, wishing I could somehow astral project into the future where I have a fulfilling career and health insurance and have become the type of person who can "meal prep", and then my pug snuggled on top of my feet and started snoring. Simultaneously I thought, "Aww, what a little cutie boy!" and "That lucky bum." This wasn't the first time I've wished I could be a dog living with a nice middle class family or lonely college girl who had no other meaningful companion for years and thus spoiled me on an almost criminal level (not talking about myself of course). Here's ten reasons why being a dog would be the best gig on the face of this planet:
- Don’t have to get a job or do homework or cook or clean.
- All the snuggles
- Get to spend most of the day sleeping
- You’re everyone’s favorite party guest
- Don’t have to wear clothes
- Can go weeks without washing your hair and people don’t judge you
- If you’re a little dog, people carry you around sometimes
- Never forced to engage in small talk
- Can leave a room when you’re bored with people and no one judges
- No one thinks you’re weird for getting super excited about simple things
I thought about ending here, but thought this would also be a good place to say there are lots of cute little puppies (i.e. any dog regardless of age) who don't have such awesome lives. I bought my dog off of eBay classifieds, so I'm totally a hypocrite for saying this, but please consider visiting your local shelter and adopting a sweet little doggo. The next dog I get will definitely be a rescue. If you can't accommodate a furry friend right now, consider donating to your local humane society or to ASPCA. And finally, if you notice an animal being abused or neglected in your neighborhood, please report it. Let's do our parts to care for easily the purest creatures in the world.