10 Reasons "On My Block" Is The Best TV Show Ever

Representation in T.V shows doesn't hurt ratings... it actually increases them!

468

If you have not already started watching the new Netflix Original Series "On My Block" you really should. It is an amazing show with a pretty interesting story arc and a twist at the end that either has you crying legitimate tears or cheering like nobody's business. But I can't tell you which one so you are really going to need to watch to see just which one it is. This show has done what a lot of other T.V. shows involving minorities as leads have failed to do. It gave a more realistic view of a life outside of "upper middle class" or being the "help". "On My Block" gives us representation and something they can relate to no matter who they are.

1. The characters are super relatable

It doesn't matter if you're white, black, orange, rich, poor, or even just consider yourself a "weirdo" (like myself)... you will find at least one character that you can relate to yourself in some shape or form. I, myself, definitely identify with either Jasmine or Abuelita.

2. Representation matters!! (And there is some great representation)

You should always support shows, movies, etc. created by or even about people of color that don't adhere to rather tragic and misleading stereotypes to showcase that said representation. The creators of "On My Block" try to do exactly that. I mean just look at all their smiling faces!

3. Strong female characters

And while the actresses play these characters who are many years younger them then ... they still carry them as strong, independent, and wonderful people to look up too. And that is definitely something to cheer for! Monse and Olivia are a force to be reckoned with and girls to look up to! And you can't forget Jasmine... she is unapologetically herself no matter what anyone says or thinks.

4. The humor is 12/10... not joking

The jokes never fall flat and they definitely speak some truth into the everyday life of a person of color (POC) especially when you live a neighborhood like theirs.

5. They tackle some tough POC situations

One, in particular, came to my attention when writing this... Halloween time when a lot of... I'll say it... white people dress up as stereotypes of numerous different POCs and parade around like it's okay. (BTW... it is not okay). The show shows how these are quite uncomfortable to handle and digest. But can be with or without ease while getting the overall message across.

6. Shows normal teenager friendships and romances

Nothing is worse than watching overly attractive people who go through the most extensive and ridiculous things that get passed off as "teenage/young adult problems". This show is realistic in that aspect. Their relationships aren't unattainable like most T.V. show relationships are no matter what audience it is trying to appeal to.

7. Highly developed characters

Usually when it comes to shows about young adults... the characters are all very singular and have no development or ability to grow during their season. They stay very one-dimensional, which is sad, cause it just shows how teenagers and young adults are viewed by adults.

8. It's not your mom's YA T.V. show

It is funny! It is relatable! It is just an all around great T.V. show.

9. IT IS REALISTIC!

If you haven't grown up in the "hood" than you can't say that this T.V. isn't realistic for a lot of young adults but it is--even for the ones that seem so acclimated to the rather well-off side of society. The show is pretty realistic, with some side plots that are slightly exaggerated for the point of telling a story. And even if you didn't grow up in the "hood", there are still so many characters, plots, or concepts that you can relate too so don't push it off to the side too fast!

10. The twist at the end will have you SHOOK.

*me at the end of the season* And I am not joking.

And while I do say you need to start binge-watching immediately... maybe take it a day (or even a week) at a time because it is a long time until season 2 premieres... next year.