10 Reason Why I Love the East Side of Bakersfield

There’s no place like home

394
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/22/636600135219281675-1457527433_1200px-Bakersfield_CA_-_sign.jpg

What is there to love about the East Side of Bakersfield? This has been the question people have asked me countless times growing up. Even today I’m still asked the same question, however the real question is “what is there not to love about the East Side of Bakersfield”?

We all know that there are plenty of things to do and to love about the East Side. For many of us we are perfectly fine where we live. Yes, we are family oriented and are proud of our culture, but there is more to love about the East Side. Here are just a few reasons why I love the east side of Bakersfield.

1. Elotes

I don’t care what anyone says; anyone from children to elders, knows when the Elote man/woman is coming down their block, by the sound of their horn. The fun part is always having to run inside to get money and then run back outside to yell “STOP.”My love for Elotes is real, and if it doesn’t come from a ice chest pushed around on a grocery cart, then I don’t want it.

2. Mexican Food

When I say Mexican food, I don’t just mean Mexican restaurants, but I will say there are some bomb authentic Mexican restaurants here in town. I mean the people who sell tacos from their house, or even the taco trucks posted on the corners. We also can’t forget the individuals who sell Bacon wrapped hotdogs, or the fruit cups with chili. Now that right there is why I love Mexican food. More importantly, shoutout to your grandparents and parents, because they know how to get down in the kitchen when it comes to authentic Mexican food.

3.Lowriders in the Summer

Summer is something I look forward too. Aside from the sun finally being out, there is nothing more beautiful than seeing all the Lowriders start to curse the streets of Bakersfield. Come on, who doesn't love seeing a 77 or 79 Chevy Monte Carlo, or a 63' Chevy Impalas, and we can't forget all the customized Lowrider bicycles, talk about beauty. When you start to see all the different types of Lowriders cruising around Bakersfield, let the fun begin because summer is finally here.

4.Summer Nights

There’s no better way to explain the summer night on the East Side of Bakersfield then by providing you with a few lyrics from “Summer Nights” by Lil Rob,

“Summer days just sitting around, but when the sun goes down

I'll be ready to party
(Par-ty)

Ain't nothing like them summer nights

Keep the top on drop while the girls looking hot,
Hit the volo and we just don't stop
Party until the morning light
(Par-ty)
Ain't nothing like them summer nights”

5.Parties AKA Fiestas

Besides summer nights, the east side of Bakersfield is known for putting on some of the best Quinceaneras, kick backs and parties. Whether if it's a birthday part or not, everyone comes together and enjoys the food, music and drinks. We defentiely don’t need anyone telling us how to throw a party on the east side, we know how to get down

6.Music

I don’t care what anyone says, but everyone at one point in time has cruised the streets of Bakersfield listening to Art Laboe on Sunday Nights or The Groove 99.3. We are known for our oldies, we love our music because whether we are in the car, at home, or even at the gym, we are bumping our music.Yes, at times we may be listing to more modern-day music, but the majority of the time we are listing to Lil Rob, Warren G, Lighter Shade of Brown, Luniz, Slick rick etc.

7.We are down for the homies

People always get the wrong impression that just because we live on the East Side of Bakersfield, that most us are criminals or are in some type of gang. No matter what state, city, or town you live in, criminals are everywhere. The difference between us, is that we don’t even have to know you or be related, but we have your back. Why you might ask, it’s because we care, and bullying people for no reason isn’t cool. We got you, even when you don't ask for it.

8.Everyone is somehow related

There have been countless times when I was talking to individuals and through our conversations we have some how found out that we are related, whether it’s through blood or marriage, everyone is related! You always have to watch out who you date, because if your not related to the person, then either your cousin or friend has dated them, or they went to high school with someone you know. You will be surprised how somehow everyone is connected in some way or another.

9. Nothing is ever surprising

We seen it all, from people stealing car doors, to people walking up to the drive-thrus, to even someone coming into your yard and taking off with your trash can full of recycles. (Yes, these have all happened). We are not surprised by anything that goes on, especially if you live on the East Side of Bakersfield.

10.The People

Individuals who live on the East Side of Bakersfield are some of the best people I ever met in my life. They care for others and they treat people like family. They keep it real with you, they won’t drag you around or play you. There honest and just by growing up on the East Side of Bakersfield I've met my best friends, long lost families to even past lovers. Bakersfield is the place to be, but the East Side of Bakersfield is where I am from and proud to say, that there are many more reasons why I Love the East Side of Bakersfield.