10 Reactions My Dad Had To Greek Life on Dad's Day

"So many cons. I didn't realize they were still so in." - Eric Keller

24
Anne Marie Kotterer

As most Purdue Students are aware, this past weekend was family weekend. At my sorority, Gamma Phi Beta, and several others we had a special celebration for our Dad's as a way to include them in our mysterious Greek Centered lives. This is an especially odd experience for me because not only is it a foreign place for my parents to be on a college campus and neither attended themselves, but Greek life is also completely new and strange to them. Before I went Greek all they knew were all the stereotypes and my dad never hesitated to joke with me about them. My mother visited last spring but this past weekend was their first time seeing my life while living in the house. Needless to say they had some reactions that I had to love and some that I couldn't even explain away!

1. Hopped on the "sorority shirts for every occasion" bandwagon

I mean who wouldn't when they're surprised with a free crew neck and t shirt?

2. Couldn't believe how much corn hole they saw

I'm not sure why they thought West Lafayette was some kind of exception to the Indiana corn thing.

3. Gave me props for being alive after the night my sister informed them I had.

My dad said "Well I guess I'm proud you're doing the college right."

4. Respected the drunken hand shakes

Upon arriving at my favorite fraternity that afternoon several brothers immediately shook my dads hand and introduced themselves. It was odd to me that t surprised him because I'm so used to everyone just doing that here. He thoroughly enjoyed it, especially my former Grand Prix buddy's admission of breakfast club guilt while doing it. He even said he approves of these men.

5. Impressed by their darty song choices

He started talking about the artists who sing Come On Eileen ike I woud know amything about them just because I know the song. But hey we sort of bonded.

6. Thought cold air is barbaric

This was one I just couldn't quite explain to him.

7. Thought they don't feed me enough

Another one I couldn't explain and question regularly myself.

8. Surprised there's a job for everything

He was baffled that we had someone designated to paint sheet signs for events.

9. Amazed by the number of converse

My dad, no kidding, spoke to me for like 20 minutes later that day about how popular chucks and hightops still are.

10. Also dumbfounded by breakfast club

I mean who wouldn't be though? After understanding the concept he was really supportive so you know who's gonna be there with me next Dad's day.

I can't say I'm that surprised at my dads reactions to my Greek life here at Purdue but I can say I am thankful to have a father to bring to such events. I can say that though he finds some aspects barbaric he still cut a bunch of wooden moons out for my friends and I to paint for our future little's. I can also say that there is no place I'd rather be when I'm showing my family my home away from home. So maybe Greek life seems a little weird from the outside and I'm sure my dad would attest to that but shout out to him and my mom as well for accepting all it's quirks and my role in it!