10 Questions To Ask Yourself When Considering Changing Your Major

Are you 100% sure?
417

Changing your major can be a seriously life-altering decision and you need to make sure that this is what you want and are ready for. If you are considering the change, you should probably think through it before you make the leap. Here are ten questions you should ask yourself before changing your major.

1. Am I really interested in my current course?

If you are honestly not interested in the course at all, branching out may be a good option.

2. Am I considering switching because I'm not doing that well?

If the answer is yes, then maybe try sticking it out for a bit longer. You might find that it gets easier as you get

3. Am I genuinely interested in another major?

If you are interested in another major, try finding out more about it, talk to other students about it, ask faculty, take a few classes in it, try out some of the things other students in that major do to find out if you are really interested.

4. Why am I looking for the change?

Find the root cause of why you actually want to change. Is it because you are more interested in another major or are you just one of those people that like making really big decisions or could it be because of external factors like your parents or being in a bad situation or anything like that. If you find that you want to change because you like the new major, go ahead.

5. Do I know enough about this new major?

You need to really do a lot of research to find out if this major is right for you before switching. If you don't you could be disappointed. Make sure you understand the course requirements of the new major as well as the job prospects in that field before making the jump.

6. What if I don't like this new major?

What if you don't like this major, just like you didn't like the last one. What then? Try and avoid this situation by making absolutely sure that this major is right for you before you dive in.

7. Am I happy with other aspects of my life?

It may not actually be the major. If you are unhappy with other things going on in your life right now, it may seem like the right idea to make a major decision but it may not be. You are making that decision hoping that it will change your unhappiness but it's not that simple and could lead to a lot of trouble down the road if you find later that you should have stayed put. Maybe spend some time trying to find the root cause of the problem and solve it rather than making a hasty decision. If you find that the problem is a wrong major, go ahead and change it.

8. What year am I in?

Sorry to say it but if you are a senior or junior, changing your major might not be the wisest decision if you want to graduate on time. But hey, if you are completely sure this is what you want then go for it.

9. How much will it cost me to switch my major?

Needless to say, if you switch your major, it could affect when you graduate. This, in turn, would affect the cost of college a lot. You need to understand the impact this move will have on both your ability to graduate and the cost of that delayed graduation. College is already really expensive. Is your need of a major change enough to warrant that extra cost?

10. Am I happy with my current major?

If you are not happy with your current major, go ahead and change it.