10 Questions Outsiders Have For The Greeks

I'm literally still so confused about what this all is and I'm a senior. Help a girl out.

115
Fresh U

Many people, like myself, go through their entire college life never joining a Greek organization. There's nothing I have against Greek organizations, it just never crossed my mind that I should join one. Nothing really spoke to me and said yes, this is what I want to do with my college involvement! I've been much more for the groups and clubs scene myself. But more power to those who do join them, they seem to really enjoy it. But I have a lot of unanswered questions about Greek Life. I'm currently about to go into my senior year of college and I'm still so puzzled by these sparkling landmarks of college life. So I'm setting out for all my fellow outsiders to get our questions (hopefully) answered. Here are 8 questions all outsiders have for Greek students.

1. Why Are Outsiders Called GDIs?

All my Greek friends call me a GDI or God Damn Independent. Okay, but why? It seems like both a negative and positive label to hold. The God Damn makes it seem bad and that I'm a bad person for not joining; but independent makes me feel empowered to be non-conforming. So where did this come from? Anyone out there know?

2. Why Do You Use Greek Letters?

I mean they are unique and stuff but why can't you have less confusing names? Everything is Alpha Kappa Blah Blah, it all sounds the same. Barely any of you are actually Greek in heritage, so what's up with the Greek-ness in the first place? And speaking of your letters...

3. Why Are Your Letters LITERALLY EVERYWHERE?

I feel like you're secretly watching me, making sure I see your letters at every turn. I mean cool, you're in an exclusive group, why do you all have to let everyone know? Also, why do you make those big-ass letters out of wood? They seem generally heavy and somewhat of a nuisance to lug around campus. I bet your arms are all jacked...

4. Why Are Your Groups So Expensive?

Where does this money go? What's it used for? Do your members see it benefiting them directly? I just can't imagine spending as much as you all do to join a college group.... Then again I probably spend the same amount annually at Sephora... Sephora should have it's own sorority, just saying.

5. Why is Everything so Secretive?

Whenever I'm talking to my Greek friends there seems to be a point where they can't go into any more detail. Okay, but why? I'm very confused. Why do you need to be so hush-hush? Are you doing some crazy shit up in those meeting? Quietly reciting incantations to boost your GPAs? Because if so, I want in.

6. Why Does Greek Life Get a Bad Rep?

You all seem like some generally great people, from what I've observed. Sure there have been some instances of Greeks getting into a little party trouble, but who doesn't at least once in your college life? I don't really understand how people who are out volunteering while I nurse my hangovers get such a bad rep.

7. Why Are You Always Obsessed with Your Little?

I don't even give my biological little sister as much attention as you do to someone you didn't know a few months prior. It's pretty cool how good of connections you foster through this, but I don't understand why it happens...I'm glad my real sister isn't in college, she'd demand a lot more attention from me after seeing how your littles are treated.

8. What's Up With the Sorority Squat?

Who started that? Doesn't it hurt your legs? It seems generally uncomfortable and you take a lot of photos soooo....

9. Why Do You Giggle at Outsider Questions?

Um yes, hello I'm not in your organization. I obviously came to you with a question, I don't need you giggle at my 'dumb question'. I came to you for an answer so please answer it without giggling and giving your buddy the side-eye look.

10. Where do You Buy Your Wardrobes?

Seriously, watching you all walk to one of your events is like watching a fashion show. TELL ME YOUR SECRETS.