10 Queer Girl Musicians You Need To Know

Girls like girls, nothing new.

5148
Megan Cullen

Some of the best music is coming from the queer women community, which is no surprise since they kick ass at everything. Below are some of the most prominent queer girl musicians and bands right now, new and old. If you don't have these women in your life, you are really missing out.

1. LP

Laura Pegolizzi, aka LP, is the ukulele wielding, singer and songwriter from Long Island, NY. She got her start writing songs for major pop artists, like Rihanna and the Backstreet Boys. Since then she has released three albums and one EP. You may recognize her song "Muddy Waters," from the last episode of season 4 of "Orange Is The New Black". Though most of her songs are not centered on queer issues or life, she is proudly out and happily with her girlfriend.

Listen to:

Into The Wild

Night Like This

Muddy Waters

2. MUNA

The first time I saw this queer girl, self-described "dark pop" band, MUNA, was when they opened for Saint Motel, and I was immediately obsessed. The Los Angeles-based group is made up of three members, Josette, Katie, and Naomi. Their energy and personality on stage is unlike any other band. MUNA is outspoken about their stances on current social and political issues, strongly advocating for queer youth and Black Lives Matter. Their song "I Know A Place," is about support for queer people.

Listen to:

Winterbreak

I Know A Place

Loudspeaker

So Special

3. Hayley Kiyoko

Hayley Kiyoko got her start at Disney with "Lemonade Mouth", but has since graduated to being a queer pop queen. Many of her songs are about or for queer girls, and many of her music videos feature gay girls.

Listen to:

Ease My Mind

Gravel To Tempo

Girls Like Girls

Watch:

Girls Like Girls

Cliff's Edge

4. Halsey

If you haven't heard of Halsey at this point, you've probably been living under a rock. Halsey's music doesn't focus on queer girls, but she is an out and proud bisexual.

Listen to:

Hold Me Down

Hurricane

Gasoline

Young God

Watch:

Ghosts (Album Version)

5. Tegan and Sara

Don't think I even need to explain this one.

6. Lauren Sanderson

Lauren Sanderson has transformed from social media personality to motivational speaker to singer/rapper. She has since released her first EP, Center of Expression. Sanderson is an out and proud lesbian, and though her songs don't focus on queer issues, they do tend to focus on her relationships.

Listen to:

Anyone (feat. Former Vandal)

Palm Springs

Oceans

7. 070 Shake

The first time I saw 070 Shake was when she opened for The 1975, and not going to lie, I was originally a little confused. Then she said "fuck you" to Mike Pence and that her generation loved her for being gay, and I was immediately on board. 070 Shake's music, much like others within her genre, seems to focus a lot on women.

Listen to:

Trust Nobody

8. Lynn Gunn

Lynn Gunn is the gay lead woman of alternative rock, pop punk influenced, Pvris, with two other members, Alex Babinski and Brian MacDonald. They have released one album, White Noise. Though the music typically doesn't directly involve queer girls, Lynn is outspoken about her sexuality.

Listen to:

You and I

St. Patrick

White Noise

My House

Fire

(honestly all of the songs)

9. Mary Lambert

Mary Lambert is a pop and folk singer, as well as a spoken word artist. She famously was featured in the popular song, "Same Love," by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, about gay rights. Lambert is an out lesbian and many of her songs involve her sexuality.

Listen to:

She Keeps Me Warm

10. Julia Nunes

Julia Nunes is a ukulele playing, indie pop, queer artist from New York. She got her original start on YouTube, and has since released five studio albums. She is involved in a lot of charity work and is currently dating a woman.

Listen to:

Make Out