10 Professors You'll Meet In College

10 Professors You'll Meet In College

They're both your best friend and worst enemy.

68
10 Professors You'll Meet In College
iStock

Professors are probably one of the most unpredictable things about college. Especially if you’re a freshman. You don’t know who you’re going to get but you do know you’ll have to stick with them for at least a semester. Some professors you’ll get stuck with for more than that. Here are just a few that you’ll run into during the best four years of your life.

1. The Tough Grader

This professor is probably the worst professor you’ll run into. You’re most likely to receive your first C or lower during college. You can negotiate all you want with this guy but there’s no way he’s budging. These professors are the most stubborn professors on campus. You could present an entire PowerPoint presentation on why you deserve at least a B- and they’ll just look at you and say “Well this is what I’ve given you.”

2. The Easy Grader

This professor is probably the best professor you’ll run into. No matter what you turn in, that grade book will be glowing with 95%-100%. All you have to do is get on their good side. Small talk and a few carefully placed compliments will get you way farther than ever imagined.

3. The Best Friend

The best thing in the world is finding a professor you can call your friend. You’ll find that you both share the same views and discuss them so long that you realize an hour has passed. Eventually, you realize you like filling up their office hours with discussions and that you’ll probably keep in contact after graduation.

4. The “Best Friend”

These professors tend to think they’re everybody’s best friend. They get way too personal with you and want to know every single detail of your life. They deem themselves your mentor and send you essay length emails about how they’re either extremely proud or terribly disappointed in you. This kind of professor is best to be avoided at all costs.

5. The Spineless Professor

The title says it all. This kind of professor tends to be more annoying than useful. They complain about everything wrong with their department and do nothing about it. These professors tend to be steamrolled by other professors and students and try their hardest to stay out the way of absolutely everything.

6. The One Who Has No Clue What They’re Doing

This professor is just as frustrating as the last. They have no clue what they’re doing and constantly say “I don’t know” in class. They’re constantly flustered and embarrassed by their unpreparedness and cluelessness. Best part? They’re usually on tenure.

7. The One Only There To Get Paid

This professor could care less. They’re only there to do their jobs and get paid. Classes with these professors usually end right on the dot or earlier. It’s nearly impossible to find this kind of professor outside of their classroom and they tend to have close to zero office hours.

8. The Social Warrior

These professors constantly talk about politics in their classes. They’ll walk in with their “Feel the Bern” mug asking about how you feel about the election. They usually go on hour long rants on the injustice in our country expecting to spark a fire in our young hearts.

9. The Crazy One

This professor will walk into every single 8:00 A.M. screeching “HelloooOOooOOOOO!!!” They usually wear flowy, flowery clothing and talk about how their cats had to go to the vet last week. Although crazy, these tend to be some of the best professors.

10. The Best Professor You’ll Ever Have

The best professor you’ll ever have is the professor who pushes you. The kind that will send you emails on your potential along with links to internship applications and programs that will help your future career. They see the fire in you that others don’t and push you to be the best adult that you can be. They tend to be on your back about things but will always pick you up when you need them to.