10 Post-Gilmore Thoughts

10 Post-Gilmore Thoughts

Stars Hollow never looked so good. (I think it's the sewers.)

4
10 Post-Gilmore Thoughts
Time Magazine

If you’re a Gilmore Girls fanatic like me, you’ve probably already watched the revival. I know I have. After waiting so many years, we all had some really high expectations. I thought it met some of those, but some things just weren’t what we were hoping for. Here are ten thoughts I had about it. (Note: spoilers ahead! Don’t read if you haven’t watched it!)

1. Rory was disappointing

I hate to say it because I identify so much with Rory in so many aspects of my life, but I was disappointed. I get that she was so motivated that she was going to do anything to make her career happen, but the Rory I remember from the series wouldn’t have completely disregarded the feelings of others. Plus, the whole thing with Paul just seemed incredibly uncharacteristic.

2. Lorelai and Luke had a very Lorelai-and-Luke relationship

We all knew they were going to be together, but a lot of things were up in the air. I’m not going to lie: I was afraid when Lorelai went to do her “Wild” trip that it would be the end of their relationship, but thankfully, the pair stayed together, and in a very honest way. Lorelai was still very much herself, but it was evident that she’d been with Luke for several years, and vice versa. I was glad the Amy Sherman-Palladino accounted for the time they’ve been together in writing the characters we love so much; it felt authentic.

3. Everyone was there, and then some

For months before it was released, we knew that everyone would be showing up in the revival, but it was amazing to see how they’d all aged, and yet they maintained the relationships and amazing dynamics they’d always had, even as the times changed. And let’s not forget all the cameos made by the Bunheads (Sutton Foster, Bailey Buntain, Stacey Oristano) and Parenthood (Mae Whitman, Peter Krause, Jason Ritter) stars alike. Seeing all of the amazing people from some of my favorite shows on the screen in one show made it all the better! (And if I missed anyone, I’m very sorry. I tried my best.)

4. Rory’s love life

I know there was a lot of controversy and battling about who Rory would end up with, and I can’t say I’m thrilled with what went down. I was upset about what she did with Logan because she knew how wrong it was, and she’d even caused the downfall of a marriage before! I never thought he was a good influence for her, and I get it, he matured, but STILL. I can’t help but think that she might have been a little less ruthless in trying to make her career happen if she hadn’t had his influence. I’d hoped she would end up with a nice, smart guy who could challenge her and appreciate her for all that she was (similar to Jess, but obviously not Jess, because Lorelai and Luke are together, and that would just be wrong). And I still can’t stop feeling bad for Paul. (Side note: the video released on Facebook a few weeks before the revival in which actors told which team they were on was totally foreshadowing!)

5. Michel

We were told we’d be getting some more information about Michel, and it did not disappoint. I always loved Michel, and the idea of him leaving the inn broke my heart, but I can respect his situation, and I was so happy that he got to be a real character this time around!

6. Emily’s new life

Of course Emily would have a hard time after losing her husband, but she handled it in the best way possible. Sure, she may have had to go through some weird and unhealthy phases to get there, but she ended up becoming the person she’d never gotten to be before, and one that I think we can all get behind. And the way she took in Berta and her whole family (because she didn’t know what they were saying) was amazing. Her life was never bad, but I’m glad she got to have new experiences and discover all the things she hadn’t before.

7. Paul Anka

As adorable as ever, Paul Anka was by far the cutest part of the revival. I can’t accept the idea that he would enjoy being dressed up, but he’s still super awesome! Let’s not discount the coolest dog around.

8. Those last four words

I did not see that coming! In all the scenarios I came up with, those words were never the ones I imagined. I do feel as though I need some closure on that, though. Like what’s going to happen with Logan now? Wait, is it Logan’s? Will Rory even keep the baby? That’s been a question going around, but I think she will. She seems pro-choice, but I think her experience with her mother means that she would never get rid of the baby. I do wish it hadn’t come out like that, though. It must have really put a damper on the wedding that had to happen several hours later.

9. New references

Being able to understand the references they were making in the new episodes was absolutely amazing, and made me appreciate the show in a whole new way. And those “Hamilton” references? I’m currently obsessed with “Hamilton,” so from the moment Rory said, “Let’s have another round tonight,” I was dying.

10 .Everything

I’m not going to lie. Watching it once just wasn’t enough. There were so many amazing things to take in about the revival that I knew it needed to be watched again. Some parts of it were not as fantastic as I’d built them up to be, but some were even better, and I couldn’t be happier with the simple fact that we’ve been given more time in Stars Hollow. Although I wouldn’t be opposed to a second season.