10 Perks Of Having Your Parents Visit You At College
popular

Parents are great, but seeing them after a long period of distance makes them seem even greater.

4380
Original

Not living under my parents' roof has given me much freedom; however, not seeing my family every day is sometimes lonely. My parents came down to visit me this weekend, and it was exactly what I needed to keep me sane. It also made me appreciate them and the moments I get to spend with them.

1. Home-y feels

It's been only two months since I was home for winter break, but it seems like it has been so much longer! Having my parents come see me definitely cured the slight homesickness I was feeling. I may not have gone home, but a part of home came to me.

2. Familiar faces

Sure your friends have familiar faces too, but it's different seeing people that you've known since the day you were born. Sometimes it's challenging to be around people who don't fully know you all the time, but your parents know you pretty well and it's nice to be around people you're comfortable with.

3. Groceries

My mom asked for a list of food she could bring me when she came down. She pulled up and unloaded three boxes of food ... I now have enough Goldfish, pickles, chips, and salsa for the rest of the semester.

4. Having someone else take care of you

I was starting to get sick the week before my parents came down, and my body couldn't have picked a better or worse time. It was nice having my parents here to evaluate my symptoms in person and not over FaceTime. Also, parents are good at picking out medicine and getting tissues and cough drops.

5. Non-dining hall food

Not having to eat the dining hall's food is always a blessing. When my parents are here, I fully take advantage of the opportunity to eat good food.

6. A break from school/life

Of course, I still had so much homework to do Sunday night after my parents left, but it was nice to take a break from the routines I have fallen into and do something out of the ordinary.

7. They give you money

My dad always gives me cash before he leaves "in case I need anything." Getting money from anyone is always a good thing.

8. Being put back into perspective

I have definitely fallen victim to laziness and procrastination this semester which has been followed by a great amount of stress. Seeing my parents made me realize that although school is consuming my life at the moment, there is more to life beyond my vacuum world of college.

9. Hugs

Getting hugs from your parents is definitely something that you don't realize you miss until you don't have it.

10. Conversations

While calling and texting my parents keeps me in communication with them, it's different to be able to talk face to face and see the emotions that go along with the conversations.