10 Non-Mainstream Songs For Your Valentine’s Day Playlist

Not all great love songs top charts.

2012
PoetrySync

Valentine’s Day is coming up. Whether you have a lover to spend the day with, friends to drink the night away, or somehow have been forced to spend the day and night alone, it’s inevitable that you'll be hearing love songs. They will be playing on every radio station and every store known to you know be selling chocolate and other 'lovey dovey' items for discounted prices (or higher if they don’t have souls). It's something that will help you forget about classes for a short time.

But likely, you'd rather be listing to your own collection of music rather than the radio's playlist. So why not switch it up and play some songs by artists not many people know about and won't be playing on every radio station? Here are 11 non-mainstream songs that should be on your Valentine’s Day playlist. They're worth the listen, not only because they're good but because they're unique tunes that stand out compared to the likes of Z100's Top 10.

1. B-e-a-utiful – Megan Nicole

Nowadays, YouTube is known for having given birth to numerous celebrities of their own. What most people don't realize that many of these celebrities are known for their gorgeous pipes (Tragically, one of these celebrities was Christina Grimmie).

Megan Nicole is one of these YouTube 'homegrown' singers, and it shows in her song 'B-e-a-utiful'. The lyrics describe that of a girl witnessing her friend with her boyfriend; wishing that she too, could one day be in a happy relationship like theirs and be called beautiful. With a melancholy, longing yet hopeful atmosphere, this is one song you'll want to have stuck in your head.

2. Bones – Alex G

Another YouTube singer, Alex G's mezzosorpano (as well as her rather cute looks) won over many ears and hearts. 'Bones' tells us of a woman recalling a love and just how impactful they were to her. The echoes help convey the song's theme of nostalgic yet almost melancholy flashbacks. Maybe you once had a great love, but now it's in the past; let Alex remind you that you should be happy that it happened, and let it push you forward stronger.

3. By My Side – David Choi

When people think love songs, a guy singing it is the last thing on their minds; David Choi is here to break that kind of thought. Part of YouTube's early (somehow mostly East Asian-descent) celebrities, this Korean-American's ballads and simple-messaged songs struck many chords and 'By My Side' is no exception; with no more than a guitar, a harp and a few piano notes, Choi tells his lover how he will love her his whole life; and how she makes him so happy to make him want her by his side, as the title says.

4. Did I Say That Out Loud – The Barenaked Ladies

The Barenaked Ladies had hit a bit of a curve when then-lead singer Steven Page departed in 2009. Despite this, the newfound quartet has stayed strong with many impressive hits.

"Did I Say That Out Loud" shows how you can be so overcome with excitement due to newfound love that sometimes you might say something that might have been better not-said. But ultimately, you won't regret it since your new lover won't mind since this is how you first fell for her/him. And if RoosterTeeth Productions' music video of the song shows anything, BNL might just step in to help if you ask well.

5. Dream Come True – Casey Williams

(A/N: In case you didn't already figure it out, yes; I am a proud RoosterTeeth fan)

RWBY hit the internet by storm, thanks to both its creator Monty Oum (may he rest in peace) but also because of its soundtrack. Jeff Williams has created many hits for RoosterTeeth Productions and his daughter, Casey continues the trend with her talented voice.

'Dream Come True', written from the character Pyrrha Nikos' POV is about her attempts to let the the guy of her dreams know that she's into him. Unfortunately, Jaune Arc (aka said guy) is one dense kid; not that it'll stop her from trying.The song starts out simple but arches into guitar tabs worthy of any anime insert song. It also takes a moment to poke fun at the anime-centered meme of "notice me, senpai!" (when usually a girl asks an upperclassman guy to notice her since she likes him). So the guy/girl you like can't seem to notice you? Let Pyrrha Nikos' spirit channel through you via this song and you'll get her/him to notice you.

6. I May Fall – Jeff Williams Feat. Casey Williams

While Jeff and Casey strike twice, 'I May Fall' actually isn't a romantic song. Instead, the lyrics are about how the world, sooner or later will have its back to you and you'll have to stand alone against it. But you know what? Tell the world to take its best shot, because you're not gonna fall.

In this regard, Valentine's day might be hard for you because you're single, your friends all have lovers, everyone you see has someone or all of the above. Let the day come at you, you've got all day. The guitar playing, as well as the initial buildup allows the song to strike like a mighty hammer as you get fired up.

7. Make You Smile – +44

If you’re an alternative rock fan, the roller coaster that is Blink-182 should be known to you. And +44 is that one offspring of that band that you either forgot was a thing and/or treated no different than Blink-182.

Make You Smile details how a coincidental meeting between two strangers at a party caused some sparks to fly between them. But there's hope for the next time; because somehow, your gut tells you there'll be a next time. The piano notes in the beginning, sets the mood, only for the abrupt guitar whiplash to change it up to an upbeat and hopeful melody.

8. Missing Piece – David Choi

David Choi's entire quota has been romantic songs. First heard in Wong Fu Productions' miniseries, 'Away We Happened'. 'Missing Piece' has David tell the story of how aimless your life is for the time being. you don't know what you're looking for, yet you know that thing is the missing piece of the puzzle that is your life. The guitar alone is told to draw the picture with its tabs and it does so wonderfully, allowing you to actually picture your life as a puzzle, with you looking for that missing piece.

9. Never Been Better – Tiffany Alvord

Like Megan Nicole, Alex G and David Choi, Tiffany Alvord is another 'homegrown' YouTube singer. In fact, you might have seen her perform live on the Nivea Stage in New York City Times Square for the 2012-to-2013 year sendoff.

'Never Been Better' is one of her lesser known songs prior to a music video release; kind of like any song on Taylor Swift's albums that wasn't a giant hit. 'Never Been Better' is quite simplistic in its story; taking a Cinderella-esque approach to love, a young woman meets a man who greets her by tucking a flower in her hair. The two get to know each other and inevitably falling in love. But everyone else tells them it won't work out, but rejoice, the young couple made it work. With a guitar, a violin and few drum beats, the simple melody let the lyrics tell the story more meaningfully since the story is 'just the same old, same old' as Miss Alvord sings. Yet the gentle and sweet melody makes you feel like a child, hearing 'Once upon a time..." for the first time.

10. Say What You Want – The Barenaked Ladies

Wrapping up this list is another BNL song, 'Say What You Want'.

As described by BNL frontman Ed Robertson, 'Say what You Want' celebrates letting go; you've realized that you can't control what people will do or say, only your reaction to them. The lyrics depict meeting an ex-lover, only to realize you two never really were a 'we'; you're content so the other party should just say what they want.

The repetitive guitar and bass allow the lyrics to be told more meaningfully, as the repetitiveness reflects how you might just fall back into an old (and possibly bad) style of living and you should let go and move forward. I'd say it's perfect for letting go of an old flame or a failed askout.

Many college students say a playlist can make or break a person's day, and my own experience and witnesses say this is true. But with so many people focused on the big hits on the radio and big names like Ariana Grande; it seems many people forgot the unheard dimaonds in the rain. Perhaps these 10 songs can allow you to hear those that would otherwise be unheard. And maybe, even a new favorite singer to listen to.