10 Must-See Destinations In Michigan

10 Must-See Destinations In Michigan

Pure Michigan, yo.

83
10 Must-See Destinations In Michigan
Rebecca

What's not to love about the Great Lakes state?

We have it all — beaches, fresh water and acres of natural beauty. Unfortunately, a lot of people who live here don't see the kind of potential it has. I have lived in this magnificent mitten for 21 years now, and I still have not been to half the places I want to in this state. It makes me sad that people are whisking off to Florida of some other tropical climate this summer instead of taking advantage of everything Michigan has to offer. Granted, there is nothing wrong with Florida, but there are so many beautiful places in Michigan that you could visit instead, some are even in your back yard! So, without further adieu, here is my list of my most favorite destinations in Michigan.

1. Traverse City

Traverse City is one the of the many gems that Michigan has to offer. It is widely known for its various outdoor recreational activities like kayaking, parasailing, and its famous cherry festival.

Explore downtown or the Village at Grand Traverse Commons for great little shops and wineries. Travelers can also take a hike or take a bike ride to enjoy the gorgeous cherry blossoms. Boat rides and fishing on Grand Traverse Bay is a must, or you could enjoy a spa day at the Grand Traverse Bay Resort. And, for those who are extremely brave, Traverse City is home to one of the most haunted buildings in Michigan, the Traverse City State Hospital. The historic tour will take you throughout the restored buildings and the secret tunnels underneath. Very fitting for all of the aspiring ghost hunters out there. In all honesty, The possibilities are endless in the cherry capital.

2. Mackinac Island

For those who are not from Michigan, it is pronounced Mack-i-naw, not Mack-i-nack.

Mackinac Island has been a rated a top U.S. travel destination by numerous accredited travel sites and magazines. It is a beautiful piece of history delicately situated between the upper and lower peninsula. The island is like a history book because visitors step back in time as soon as they set foot on the island. No cars are allowed on the island itself, so visitors have to take a ferry to get there and will have the choice to get around the island by way of horse-drawn carriages, horseback, or bikes. Diverse dining options, breathtaking hiking trails, and numerous other events make this island a must see on anyone's trip itinerary.

3. Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes

The Mitten state is home to the most incredible natural phenomenon, The Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. The National Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore encompasses a huge portion of the west coast of Michigan. There are beautiful beaches, sand formations and acres of state park for all to enjoy. It is a very popular spot of camping as well. If the family wants to be one with nature, this is a definite the place to be.

4. The Blue Water Area

I'm quite partial to this one, because I am from Port Huron. Situated on the east coast of Michigan in the Thumb area, The Blue Water area offers miles of coastline views and endless fun. Take a day trip to Lexington, and experience the historic downtown area and Lexington Harbor. Take a ride back to 18th century Michigan with the popular Feast of Ste. Clair in Port Huron. There are tons of beaches, waterways and historic trails to enjoy, as well authentic shops and restaurants. Combine Lake Huron with small town hospitality, and you have got the perfect destination for all ages.

5. Detroit

Right in the heart of southeastern Michigan is one of the most vibrant and growing cites in the U.S. Though faced with adversity and decades of economic hard times, Detroit proves its strength every day and is steadily making its comeback. The diverse community is filled with countless museums, restaurants and culture. Whether it is a fun filled day at a Tigers Game in Comerica Park, or a field trip to gaze at the historic art at the Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit has so much to offer for everyone. There are tons of different local restaurants and diverse dining options. Museums are all over, waiting for people to take a peak at the significance and impact of the Motor City. The local bar and theater scene is one of the most thriving aspects of Detroit and the Freep Film Festival is a must-see. It is nearly impossible to list all of the great activities in Detroit, it is a city of endless potential.

6. Porcupine Mountains

We can't forget the UP, because it as a treasure trove of natural beauty. The Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park is the perfect destination for nature freaks. This incredible state park includes waterfalls, mountains and various outdoor activities. There are also historic copper mines available to tour and tons of different hiking and fishing trails. The Lake in the Clouds is the most popular spot, it's between two valleys in the Porcupine Mountains and is surrounded by virgin forests and vegetation. No matter the season, this area is filled with spectacular sights and opportunities.

7. Frankenmuth

This colorful German-inspired town is Michigan's little Bavaria and it offers plenty of family fun and good old-fashioned hospitality. Get a taste of German home-style cooking in the Bavarian Inn restaurant. Their famous chicken dinner will change your life, trust me. Don't forget to grab a baked good from the basement of Zehnders, because you will regret not taking a bite of a delicious frosted sugar cookie. Stroll along the River Place and the square and shop at all of the local stores. And the most important part, take a trip to the "largest Christmas store in the world," Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. Where else can you experience Christmas magic 365 days a year?

8. Soo Locks

Interested in seeing a huge freighter make a 21 foot drop between two Great Lakes? Then Sault Ste Marie is the place for you. It's maritime history in the making. Visitors come from all over to visit the famous Soo Locks because the locks are vital for the shipping and commercial maritime business in Michigan and they provide safe passage through the Great Lakes. It's a perfect history lesson and stresses the importance of the Great Lakes.

9. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Another one of the upper peninsula's treasures is Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. It is miles and miles of beautiful shoreline covered with colorful and vibrant rock formations. The area is perfect for hiking, camping or anything an adventurous outdoorsman can think of. Experience fantastic waterfalls and hardwood forests by putting this destination on your next bucket list.

10. Hartwick Pines State Park

Experience the life of Paul Bunyan by stopping this historic state park. Hartwick Pines gives an inside look of the significance of the pine logging industry in Michigan and teaches the importance of forest conservation. Hiking, camping, historic tours; you name it, they have it. The tall and ominous white pine still stand in the park, despite the terrible windstorm in 1940 that devastated almost half of the original acreage. It is a another perfect example of Michigan history ready for eager eyes and ears.