10 Musicians Who Influenced My Own Music

These are the artists who influenced me.

59
Thy Black Man

1. Joan Jett:

The forerunner of women in rock, Joan Jett is easily one of my biggest influences. She appeared on the rock scene in 1976 at the age of 15 with the first all-female rock band, The Runaways. After The Runaways broke apart in 1979 after their 4 years of immense success, Joan Jett had a string of hits as a solo act in the 1980s and 1990s. These days, Joan Jett is still a huge name in the rock world and is one of the most influential women around. Apart from being one of the first women to punch a hole in the male-dominated rock genre, Joan Jett is also an amazing guitarist. When I was learning guitar, it was my love of Joan Jett and other guitarists that pushed me to continue. I've been playing for 4 years now (and counting).

2. My Chemical Romance:

My Chemical Romance had twelve long years of success as a band, and now that they've broken apart, the members are still thriving on the success of their respective solo acts. They were the voice of young teenagers everywhere who felt alone and were trying to find somewhere they belonged. They taught these kids that it was okay to be different and to embrace it. I honestly don't think I would have turned to rock music if it hadn't have been for MCR. I first heard their music the summer after my grandfather died. To say it was a time where I was beginning to feel alone would be an understatement. I had just learned that the people I loved weren't always going to be around me. My cousin taught me the lyrics to MCR's song "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)", and then we listened to the song together, and I was hooked. After I saw the music video for "Helena" was when I was completely sold. I would be a rock star. All of that bubble-gum pop music I had listened to before was completely obsolete because these guys knew how to put into words what I was feeling inside. I also fell in love with Fender guitars because Frank Iero had mostly Fender guitars. (When I was also starting to teach myself a lot of different songs, I started with My Chemical Romance songs, learning Frank's part.)

3. Black Veil Brides:

Anyone who really knows me knows that this is currently my favorite band in the entire world. Some people just don't get it. Those of us who are completely sold on Black Veil Brides know that their lyrics and heavy guitars--along with the drum styles of both Sandra Alva from the first record and Christian Coma from all the other records--have brought us through some of our darkest days. Black Veil Brides are probably the closest to becoming the next Motley Crue, considering they are quickly rising in popularity in almost every country--if not every country--in the world. Black Veil's lyrics are stellar. The message behind them is always the same: being true to yourself and standing for what you believe in. They teach their fans that it's okay to be different and to be completely yourself. I have a favorite song off of every record that they've come out with so far, and I also have a favorite lyric from a favorite song that I hope one day to have tattooed: "I believe that we all fall down sometimes". Notice that it doesn't say that we get back up, meaning that sometimes it's okay to stay down for a while.

4. Ashley Costello from New Years Day:

The frontwoman of the rock band, New Years Day, is absolutely one of my favorite musicians in the world. I honestly love all of New Years Day's songs and have been rocking the Malevolence record lately. Her style is absolutely to die for. She's certainly a woman who isn't afraid to be herself, and I love that about her. I know she's been bullied in the past for how she looks and chooses to dress, and I love that she doesn't let it get to her. She just uses it all as fuel for her success.

5. Juliet Simms (Biersack):

Juliet Simms Biersack is an amazing woman and an amazing artist. She's also married to Andy Biersack of Black Veil Brides, which makes her that much cooler, in my opinion. Much like Ashley Costello, she isn't afraid to be herself, and she has a style all her own. I love her vocals during both her stint in Automatic Loveletter and her own solo career because her voice reminds me so much of Stevie Nicks, and I absolutely love Stevie Nicks' music (but only as a solo artist. I never cared much for Fleetwood Mac.).

6. Taylor Swift:

I know. Considering everyone who has influenced me thus far has been in rock music, this one probably comes as a bit of a shock. However, Taylor's writing styles and my own are very similar. She pulls from relationships to write her music and from personal experiences, and I do the same. The majority of my lyrics are about my own personal experiences, both in relationships and what happened after the relationship ended as well as my emotions and personal day-to-day feelings and experiences. While Taylor's seems to be more on an upbeat level, my lyrics are geared more for rock music because of their dark tonality.

7. Avril Lavigne:

My biggest style icon is Avril Lavigne. I got into Avril's music when I was around the age of 9 or 10, and I was hooked from that point on. I loved the punk vibe of her style and music, and I'm one of those people who absolutely miss her skater days. Hell, it was because of Avril Lavigne that I wanted to learn to skateboard anyway (although I didn't have anywhere to learn and don't have great balance anyway)! Avril's music was what I turned to during the Battle of the Bands my sophomore year of high school (I sang "Keep Holding On"). Avril Lavigne is completely and beautifully herself, and, though her style has changed a bit because she's gotten older, she'll always be that badass skater chick that I aimed to be when I was a kid.

8. Demi Lovato:

Demi Lovato is one of my favorite pop artists. Her style is perfect, and her music goes between kicking ass and having fun, which I love. She's actually more real to me than most other pop artists today because she's open about how she struggled with her body image, having an eating disorder, and self-harm. I myself have struggled with self-harm and body image, so I relate to her on a different level than any of the aforementioned artists on this list. I'm proud that Demi Lovato has the guts to be so open about the struggles she's been through to get to where she is today, and she seems to be completely happy with herself now, which only makes her a much better and more powerful role-model for other people going through the same struggles.

9. Slash:

Considering I play guitar, you guys had to know that this one what coming. Slash is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, and I aim every single day to be able to play like him one day. I grew up on Guns N' Roses and other huge rock bands from the 1970s and 1980s because that's what my parents listened to. I'm still trying to teach myself "Sweet Child O' Mine". Slash is the epitome of rock guitarists, and I still hope to get to that level one day.

10. Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold:

Last, but not least on my list, is Avenged Sevenfold's own Brian Haner Jr., most known as Synyster Gates. What can I say? Syn's guitar solos and sweeps are amazing and are really difficult if you don't know how to play them. I've actually managed to learn the sweeps for the chorus to "Beast and the Harlot", but the solo still evades me (plus it requires a 24-fret guitar). Aside from Slash, Syn is my biggest guitar influence, and I would love to play as quickly and efficiently as he does.