11 Modest Mouse Songs You Need To Listen To

Their unique ability is obvious evidence below

700
News and entertainment

If I had to say which band I've listened to the most this year, it would have to be Modest Mouse. There is just something about their sound that keeps me coming back for more. The albums and the songs are a palate of intricate colors that serve to keep your mind wandering. Time and time again I find that Modest Mouse are the masters of transporting the listener to another place, and they do so by being unpredictable. Each song is a new experience, and I have shared some of my favorites with you. In no particular order, they are:

1. Dramamine

A fan favorite, Dramamine is one of the most relaxing pieces in their arsenal of songs. The effects and riffs are absolutely mesmerizing and haunting at the same time. Its as if a fortune teller has just hypnotized you, trapping you inside your own mind.

2. King Rat

This song is just absolutely crazy and I love every minute of it. The banjo mixed with the sound of trumpets definitely makes the feel of this song seem very gritty and sporadic. Not to mention the entire time this song is in your face without remorse. Definitely one of the more unique songs they've put out.

3. Spitting Venom

On the topic of sporadic and crazy, Spitting Venom has to be one of the most dynamic songs I have ever heard. The acoustic parts sit perfectly in between the loud moments and its transitions are far from awkward. This dynamic effect has always painted a picture of a tunnel in my head. On one end of the tunnel, a nasty storm has blocked out the sun and is bearing down on the earth with viscous winds. On the other side, a sunlit country road where the dominant color is a golden yellow.

4. Trailer Trash

Trailer Trash is another fan favorite and for good reason. I haven't heard many songs that fully encompass the emotions of growing up quite like this one. There is angst, there is regret, there is a bit of pride in having lived through it. It pains me that I went through my high school days without having heard it, as I think it would have helped me immensely. Better late than never I suppose.

5. Blame It On The Tetons

As of recently, I have listened to this song many times. The piano harmonizes with the acoustic guitar to give this song a bitter sweet feeling. That being said, the lyrics for this song are phenomenal as it tackles a kind of panic that lives on in all of us. Its an interesting combination of relaxed tone given these lyrics.

6. Paper Thin Walls

Modest Mouse is known for producing feel good songs, and Paper Thin Walls is no exception.This song definitely has an element of pop rock to it. Its catchy and very upbeat. Tapping your foot and bobbing your head is inevitable. Probably.

7. Missed The Boat

Missed the Boat was one of my first introductions to the band and it'll always have a special place in my library. Its whimsical sound takes me to a fishing town somewhere in the north eastern part of the United States where the stereotype of your average fisherman is a long overcoat and straggly beard. It reminds me of a person that is so taken in by their surroundings that they, inadvertently, miss the boat.

8. Sugar Boats

The one thing that comes to mind with Sugar Boats is the circus. Personally, I adored going to the circus as a child so with this song is an element of nostalgia. The energetic piano and the low tuba complement each other perfectly to come up with yet another unique Modest Mouse song.

9. Medication

For a guy that over analyzes every little thing, this song hits close to home. I commend Modest Mouse for writing about depression and anxiety in a way that I was not used to. Add to the fact that this song was released back in 1999, this song was definitely ahead of its time.

10. This Devil's Workday

Like weird music? Well Modest Mouse has got you covered. This Devil's Workday shows off the band's ability to tell a story, and then take on the role of a character. They've approached several songs with this approach and always manage to create something truly unique.

11. Float On

It just just wouldn't be a Modest Mouse list without this song. Definitely one of the band's more positive songs, Float On almost comes across as an anthem. It assures the listener that even if things seem bad now, ultimately we all float on. It's a message we all need to hear every once and a while.