10 Things They Don't Tell You About Living With Your Best Friends

You will probably hear someone having sex.

12
Kings and Greens

I recently moved in with five of my best friends for our junior year of college. I did not really think about what to expect, because I was too excited about finally living in a sweet apartment with my girls. I have learned a lot in these last couple weeks: the good, the bad, and the straight up weird. So Apple 112—this is for you, ladies.

1. You will collect an ungodly amount of cups.

Six girls do not need four shelves of cups. We all have our favorite cups and the rejects just sit there. “But what if we have a bunch of people over?” your roomies will innocently ask when you bring this up. This will not happen because you will only hang out with each other. Eliminate some cups.

2. You will notice that your roommates have interesting habits.

Habits that will also bother you for no apparent reason! Because they do not make sense! One of my roommates washed all the red solo cups we used the other night—amid all the cups we have!—even though we have a bag of literally 100 solo cups. Now our sink is full of red plastic cups, but we’re saving the environment.

3. All of you will develop a habit together and it will become "a thing."

We always have the Game Show Network on when we’re in the common room. Family Feud must be playing when we are hanging out. One night, the channel disappeared and all hell broke loose. Tears were shed. Thankfully, it reappeared the next morning.

4. There will be a designated mom of the group.

She will be underappreciated and her girls will be too damn needy all the time, but she will love every minute! She is always prepared to calm some hangry roomies with snacks and soothe whomever is crying at 2am. (I am not the mom).

5. You will get comfortable with each other and become closer than ever.

Your roomies will see you at your best and at your worst. It’s inevitable that boundaries will be crossed and no one will care. That being said, not wearing pants around the apartment will be acceptable. Sitting on your friend’s favorite chair without pants on is not.

6. Being alone in the apartment is weird.

You get a little sad when there is no one to greet you at the door. The whole place is dark and you text “I miss you guys” in your group chat because you really do, even if you just saw them an hour ago.

7. You will probably hear someone having sex.

Or your roomies will hear you having sex. Either way it’s going to be a real bonding moment that everyone will want to forget, but keeps bringing up because that sh*t is hilarious and you can’t be embarrassed in front of your best friends.

8. Everyone wants to share their clothes.

Remember when some chick down the hall wanted to look through your closet and borrow something? Your best friends are not that chick. They actually mean it when they tell you that they’ll return your clothes—maybe even wash them! If not, you know where they live.

9. When someone leaves for the weekend, the balance is thrown off.

Something is missing, whether it’s the Monica or Ross of the group (because let’s face it, you’ve already determined which Friends characters you are) or the roommate who always takes out the trash. You are counting down the days and hours until they return.

10. Living together will be more fun than you can even imagine.

Don’t try to set expectations because they will be shattered in the best way possible. Through all the late nights, crappy boys, and inside jokes, your girls are there for you. And you know right where to find them.